Chinese Hackberry

Great leaf size!:cool: Photo makes it seem kind of "bushy". I imagine "in-person", the eye sorts all that out.

I don't know of a way to make my photos show the branch structure better, I'm sure a better photographer could do something. In person, I've actually moved and pruned some branching around so you can actually see the branching structure inside the canopy. It looks so much better in person, makes me wonder how much better M5's and BVF and D4's trees look in person LOL.

I don't know of a way to make my photos show the branch structure better, I'm sure a better photographer could do something. In person, I've actually moved and pruned some branching around so you can actually see the branching structure inside the canopy. It looks so much better in person, makes me wonder how much better M5's and BVF and D4's trees look in person LOL.
I don't know; I've been into photography much longer than bonsai. Sometimes it seems like I grow bonsai to have a subject for photography. I feel like mine photograph pretty true, but others who have visited after seeing photos would have a better perspective. Sergio's maple looked dead on at Nationals. The few of Dave's trees I've seen in person were better than the photos. The hackberry is looking great Judy.

Most of the work I have had to do on american hackberry were on landscape sized trees. I just about always lost the battle on creating a viable horizon between cuts and trunk.

I did considerable hand wringing looking over your photos. Maybe it will be different on bonsai sized examples...

Do you experience good fall color, Judy?
I get a good clear yellow some years, depends on the weather. Sometimes the leaves get a bit beat late summer, but as my experience grows with these trees, I find leaf health is mostly fine all year, and I do get nice color.

Most of the work I have had to do on american hackberry were on landscape sized trees. I just about always lost the battle on creating a viable horizon between cuts and trunk.

I did considerable hand wringing looking over your photos. Maybe it will be different on bonsai sized examples...
Maybe a difference between American and Chinese Hberry? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by horizon? I find these easy to develop. I have a nice twin trunk as well.

Looking great. The photo taken from below really feels like looking up into a big tree.
Thanks Colin, I feel that too. It's the most natural looking tree I have, and the other hackberry has that feel as well. Part of it is their natural growth habit, and the small leaves. (the rest is a lot of wire...)

I find most trees heal right behind where a branch is cut. The stub eventually sluffs off. With hackberry the entire trunk will eventually become hollowed out. Like Birch, the healing point is at the soil line and a new branch grows.

I find most trees heal right behind where a branch is cut. The stub eventually sluffs off. With hackberry the entire trunk will eventually become hollowed out. Like Birch, the healing point is at the soil line and a new branch grows.
I have not experienced any of this issue with either of my hackberry. Maybe different culture, or the specie is different enough. Mine heal very well from pruning.

Again I am describing landscape sized trees and not bonsai.

Yes, I imagine that is the difference, (of culture) in pot vs. in ground. You should try collecting one and see how it does for you.

Judy,

gorgeous this and the other one. How about sizes ?
Maybe a tape measure in the images next time ?
Thanks for showing.
Good Day
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom