Chojubai auction

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a head's up as these are hard to come by, especially at a more reasonable price point and grown by Bill V....Don Blackmond was offering some super reasonable ones last year as well. Thought I'd post for the nuthouse because it's a short auction and sometimes these go for less than they should.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chojubai-Fl...547806?hash=item43fd6c635e:g:TkYAAOSwopRYj4nA

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you guys serious.....thats a $20 tree in Korea....no offense America seems very expensive

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are we in Korea??? They are pretty hard to find to be honest.
Really...? Thats pretty interesting.....they are a stunning tree though! Minenis just starting to flower....popped one flower today

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these very different from the common chaenomeles sold in garden centres?

I saw C. japonica for 4 euros, reduced from 8E, at a garden centre yesterday. Thought they were too expensive tot ake home as I see them mown over along the road close to my house. I pulled a sucker last year. Nothing much yet, but hey, it was free.
IMG_20170201_084703.jpg

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Are these very different from the common chaenomeles sold in garden centres?
They're a dwarf version - smaller flowers and leaves, smaller internodes. Mine has better colour than any garden centre variety I've seen.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That makes sens @TomB . If you ever have cuttings that you would be willing to send across, let me know. :)

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
That makes sens @TomB . If you ever have cuttings that you would be willing to send across, let me know. :)
:) the one I have is tiny, and I'm trying to propagate cuttings from it for myself! Ask me again in a couple of years.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you guys serious.....thats a $20 tree in Korea....no offense America seems very expensive

It's just a question of supply and demand. In a couple of years, with the rate with which people are propagating them, the price will be as low as standard quince. There are plenty of bargains to be had in US bonsai, but specialty cultivars without broad market appeal will always be a little pricey.

Try finding a variegated Chinese elm :) About 20 years ago they were everywhere. Now all the big nurseries have stopped propagating them because they didn't feel there was any demand - and now they are nowhere to be found!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's just a question of supply and demand. In a couple of years, with the rate with which people are propagating them, the price will be as low as standard quince. There are plenty of bargains to be had in US bonsai, but specialty cultivars without broad market appeal will always be a little pricey.

Try finding a variegated Chinese elm :) About 20 years ago they were everywhere. Now all the big nurseries have stopped propagating them because they didn't feel there was any demand - and now they are nowhere to be found!
I must agree and you make a valid point.....Hornbeam and Maple are not easy to find in Korea any more.they used to be very popular..good ones anyway and their price is pretty reasonable compared to Europe or the States. The trend is toward flowering and fruit bearing trees here. Slowly trying to stock pile some good material.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom