Chop suggestions for Acer Rubrum

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey nutters!

Need some suggestions on an appropriate chop height for my collected acer Rubrum. I like some of the movement halfway up the trunk I find the lack of taper a little boring. I really would like to keep the second trunk to develop a mother daughter style.

All suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 167
There appears to be a lot of nice budding in development. Did you just collect the tree?...or collected some time ago? Myself?....I would hold off chopping more and let some of those buds develop out before chopping further so I know I didn't lose a valued development low down on the trunk. But....I'm really not as aggressive at chopping trunks as I should be.

There appears to be a lot of nice budding in development. Did you just collect the tree?...or collected some time ago? Myself?....I would hold off chopping more and let some of those buds develop out before chopping further so I know I didn't lose a valued development low down on the trunk. But....I'm really not as aggressive at chopping trunks as I should be.
Collected this spring and just allowed to grow freely. Tree has buds everywhere on the trunk and has many design options. I was considering an air layer in the second pic as the top of the tree has some nice wiggle to it as well

Nice tree collected! What's the trunk diameter above the soil?

Here are a few things I've picked up in my brief time working with one. They don't take trunk chopping well, expect to see some die back maybe. My friend in Louisiana gifted me one a couple years ago, so I've been building branch structure. The branches are brittle and not the easiest to wire movement into. Also internode spacing and petiole length can be an issue. Not to mention leaf size is a bit large. I'm hoping with more ramification the leaves will become smaller. Last season I cut all leaves in half to allow more light and air in. This seemed to help with keeping inner buds alive. Fun trees to work on with great Fall colors, keep at it. You will have a nice tree in time. Here are a few pics of mine, it's about 30" tall or so now. One last thing, they love water, make sure they don't dry out. Keep us posted on the progress of your tree in the years to come.

Attachments

• IMG_8272.JPG
    IMG_8272.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5357.PNG
    IMG_5357.PNG
    315.6 KB · Views: 130
I like them MichaelS cuts, but I'd bring the new trunks forward right after, to hide the chops, and let the little one get a bit fatter first.

Then more slight movement so mom stays protective.

Sorce

Here are a few things I've picked up in my brief time working with one. They don't take trunk chopping well, expect to see some die back maybe. My friend in Louisiana gifted me one a couple years ago, so I've been building branch structure. The branches are brittle and not the easiest to wire movement into. Also internode spacing and petiole length can be an issue. Not to mention leaf size is a bit large. I'm hoping with more ramification the leaves will become smaller. Last season I cut all leaves in half to allow more light and air in. This seemed to help with keeping inner buds alive. Fun trees to work on with great Fall colors, keep at it. You will have a nice tree in time. Here are a few pics of mine, it's about 30" tall or so now. One last thing, they love water, make sure they don't dry out. Keep us posted on the progress of your tree in the years to come.
It's likely you'll start seeing rot beginning at the chop point and working its way down to the base, which happens beginning about year three from collection. This is common for red maple (or swamp maple, the species drumondii down here). I haven't figured out why this happens in my 30 years in bonsai, which is a shame. The leaves will reduce in length with ramification, with the petioles reducing as well. Red maples can make really nice looking bonsai, provided you can work around the difficulties.

Nice maple and thanks for the advice. I've found similarly that these maple are thirsty all the time. The thing I love about them is how vigorous they are. I have a few that put out 7' canes this year. It was crazy

It's likely you'll start seeing rot beginning at the chop point and working its way down to the base, which happens beginning about year three from collection. This is common for red maple (or swamp maple, the species drumondii down here). I haven't figured out why this happens in my 30 years in bonsai, which is a shame. The leaves will reduce in length with ramification, with the petioles reducing as well. Red maples can make really nice looking bonsai, provided you can work around the difficulties.
I've heard everywhere that reducing the petiole length is neigh impossible. How are you achieving this? Through leaf pruning or defoliation?

Also I'm a long way away but does anyone have experience with defoliation acer Rubrum? Does it take well yo defoliation or is it more like Japanese maples where partial defoliation is more the game?

I've heard everywhere that reducing the petiole length is neigh impossible. How are you achieving this? Through leaf pruning or defoliation?
It happens without any effort, because leaves don't get smaller while petioles stay long. It happens with sweetgum as well. Also with tridents and other maples.

Well time for choppy choppy. Will be repotting the tree as well in the next week and will be screwing the tree to a board a la Ebihara.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0154.JPG
    DSC_0154.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 92
Well time for choppy choppy. Will be repotting the tree as well in the next week and will be screwing the tree to a board a la Ebihara.
I'd sand those chops smooth and use a cut paste. Youll get awkward healing with the way they are now.
Great start none the less.

Aaron

I'd sand those chops smooth and use a cut paste. Youll get awkward healing with the way they are now.
Great start none the less.

Aaron
Sounds great, I'll try and get to it this weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom