Cotoneasters

Elijahhlangford

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey all! I'm new to this forum, but have grown trees for a bit.
I have a cotoneaster that is not leafing well, the leaves this year were healthy but sparse. Now (very early autumn here in north arkansas) the leaves are dropping. I wouldn't think anything of it, but they started to do this about a month and a half ago, just very gradually. My first thought is that I might possibly need to prune the roots and pot up. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I'd check for spider mites. Hold a piece of white paper under the foliage and tap the branches and lightly run your fingers through. If you see what looks like specs of black pepper moving the tree has mites.

Another potential problem could be bad or heavy soil which does not allow enough oxygen into the soil mass. Repot with good bonsai soil in early spring.

This is just 2 ideas, could be other things

I agree with what's above and would like to add that if it has heavy soil it may have gotten attacked by a fungal problem, the reason I say this is that I had a cotoneaster but it's dead now lol

Welcome to B-Nut! :p

I could guess as to what the problem(s) might be but that would just have us all running in circles. There is a place in your profile that allows you to tell us your basic location and or USDA Zone. You mentioned "this year" but I have no idea if this was purchased in Spring or a plant you have had for 5 years... A picture or two would also be a great help. Many times it is easier to see the leaf health, substrate, and other things which would help me help you ;) We post pictures of a lot of plants that are not considered Bonsai "yet" in an effort to learn how to grow them - do not feel you need to show a show worthy specimen!

Looking forward to your follow up!

Grimmy

Thank you for the help! I live in northern arkansas- usda zone 6. I purchased this little guy in mid summer about a year ago. The substrate is 2 parts granite grit, 2 parts shale (thrift e sorb) and 1 part peat humus. And thank you guys for the help and welcome!glad to have found you!
image.jpg

Hi man welcome to the forum, nice buds man. Good material.

Welcome to B-Nut! :p

I could guess as to what the problem(s) might be but that would just have us all running in circles. There is a place in your profile that allows you to tell us your basic location and or USDA Zone. You mentioned "this year" but I have no idea if this was purchased in Spring or a plant you have had for 5 years... A picture or two would also be a great help. Many times it is easier to see the leaf health, substrate, and other things which would help me help you ;) We post pictures of a lot of plants that are not considered Bonsai "yet" in an effort to learn how to grow them - do not feel you need to show a show worthy specimen!

Looking forward to your follow up!

Grimmy

I posted a reply, but then realized I didnt actually 'reply', sorry about that, anyway, I uploaded a pic and some further info
~Elijah

I've had one drop all leaves,then push new growth.

Thank you for the help! I live in northern arkansas- usda zone 6.

In another post you mention an invasion of ants. It was mentioned that you should check for aphids. Ants will many times indicate an Aphid problem which would be normal in your zone at this time of year. They also would cause damage as you describe with this plant. I would treat all of your plants for aphids with Bayer Natria Insecticidal Soap or Bonide Insecticidal soap they both come in liquid spray. While you are at the store there should be a decent variety of pelletized Ant products most of which "SHOULD" be safe to use on all of them. I do recommend you do a google search and contact the company and check...

Grimmy

Are those wires supposed to be doing anything?

In another post you mention an invasion of ants. It was mentioned that you should check for aphids. Ants will many times indicate an Aphid problem which would be normal in your zone at this time of year. They also would cause damage as you describe with this plant. I would treat all of your plants for aphids with Bayer Natria Insecticidal Soap or Bonide Insecticidal soap they both come in liquid spray. While you are at the store there should be a decent variety of pelletized Ant products most of which "SHOULD" be safe to use on all of them. I do recommend you do a google search and contact the company and check...

Grimmy
Thanks for the advice! And yes, aphids are showing up. Going to get some goodies to blast them after work today..

Are those wires supposed to be doing anything?
Jim, any chance we could see some close up pics of the first few trees you wired??? The OP was asking for advice on the health of his tree and you post this exceedingly passive aggressive comment...why?

Nice specimen.

In my first post I questioned the soil. The soil looks good from here.

I had one several years ago, Cotoneaster microphylla, that I just couldn't get healthy. Looked fine right from the nursery then declined and died. Couldn't find a reason. On the other hand I have a Cotoneaster dammeri that has always been healthy.

Follow Grimmy's advice and use insecticidal soap, an effective and relatively non-toxic insecticide.

Cotoneaster are fun and make nice small bonsai. Good luck.

any chance we could see some close up pics of the first few trees you wired

They didn't have cameras in the 1800's.

Fully legitimate question.
Wouldn't be the first time we seen straight branches with wire.
Which would lead to education.
Which is what we're here for.

Seems a lot less time and wire could have been used to achieve the results.
IMO

I love spiral staircases. Maybe the ants do too!

Oh, Welcome to Crazy E.

Sorce

They didn't have cameras in the 1800's.

Fully legitimate question.
Wouldn't be the first time we seen straight branches with wire.
Which would lead to education.
Which is what we're here for.

Seems a lot less time and wire could have been used to achieve the results.
IMO

I love spiral staircases. Maybe the ants do too!

Oh, Welcome to Crazy E.

Sorce

Yes, seems they everything I do is for the sake of those spoiled little buggers. I think I got em with my chemical warfare last night... And yes, the wire is a bit much, however, the two branches were bent downward and intersecting the lower branches. The trunk was leaning backwards as well. BUT, I agree, it's kind of sloppy/excessive.
I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do this year as far as styling for this one. Hoping for some new growth to point me in some direction. I don't like the bottom branches at all... Any advice on where I should go stylistically on tis one? Chop?
~elijah

Jim, any chance we could see some close up pics of the first few trees you wired??? The OP was asking for advice on the health of his tree and you post this exceedingly passive aggressive comment...why?

Well, MY reasons aren't really any of YOUR business when you get right down to it, are they? But I'll answer anyway; no passivity or agressiveness intended.

1. Wiring is usually done for a reason. I see/saw no reason for the wiring on that tree (and the "sagging" response seems odd; those branches are much too thick for sagging).

2. When wiring is done, it is usually to put bends in the branches; no appreciable bends seen there.

3. There is -- as the OP stated -- so much else that should be done to this plant that the wires could only be a distraction to the real work needed -- severe pruning, potting more deeply, etc. I certainly didn't want to add to the blind-leading-the-blind comments on an unknown and sloppily diagnosed insect issue.

A far as my wiring goes, I hate to wire, but I do it when I must and have been doing it for 40 years or more. I don't remember how badly I wired back in the last century, tho I assume it looked terrible. It still LOOKS terrible because I never show a tree with wire on it, but looks are cosmetic; when I wire I do it with a purpose and the purpose (putting natural appearing movement in the branch, for instance) is met.

So, there you have my answer to your very snide triple question mark query.

Whatever Jim. You're better then what comes across in your post I quoted...

...and if you had put half the effort you put into your response to me into your first post, you would have actually added to the discussion instead of coming across so snottily, which I can only assume was your intent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom