DAS (Dead Alberta Spruce) Stripped Bare Top to Bottom Inside and Out - Entirely Deadwood Project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After beginning the apical deadwood project, I decided to entirely bare the tree and core of the roots

IMG_3297.jpeg
IMG_3300.jpeg
IMG_3303.jpeg
IMG_3304.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg
Completely removed from soil and continued peeling away exterior form entire remaining root structure
IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3311.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg
IMG_3316.jpeg
Digging and carving out what might be the epicenter of rot (?) šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø w/e the case, Iā€™ve never seen this before so itā€™s a Learning experience creating this little composition

IMG_3325.jpeg
IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3330.jpeg
IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3331.jpeg

IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_3335.jpeg

Not sure exactly what I plan to create as a dead composition, but Iā€™ll likely use lime sulfur and eventually secure it into or onto something. Donā€™t want my first dead tree to go to total waste šŸ˜‚

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Man. I know how satisfying it is to strip the bark off spruce.
Thereā€™s really not a whole lot there though. Not even much to make a Tanuki off of.

I like your creative spirit though.

Do you have a dog? It may appreciate it the most!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thereā€™s really not a whole lot there though. Not even much to make a Tanuki off of.

What is Tanuki?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

IMG_3286.jpeg
IMG_3285.jpeg
Gilbert AKA Gilly Bear

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hereā€™s a thread of one Iā€™ve been working on.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After beginning the apical deadwood project, I decided to entirely bare the tree and core of the roots

View attachment 530014
View attachment 530015
View attachment 530016
View attachment 530017
View attachment 530018
Completely removed from soil and continued peeling away exterior form entire remaining root structure
View attachment 530019
View attachment 530020
View attachment 530022
View attachment 530023
Digging and carving out what might be the epicenter of rot (?) šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø w/e the case, Iā€™ve never seen this before so itā€™s a Learning experience creating this little composition

View attachment 530024
View attachment 530025

View attachment 530026
View attachment 530027
View attachment 530028

View attachment 530029
View attachment 530030

Not sure exactly what I plan to create as a dead composition, but Iā€™ll likely use lime sulfur and eventually secure it into or onto something. Donā€™t want my first dead tree to go to total waste šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s an autopsy, you should have posted a warning! I canā€™t unsee that carnage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hereā€™s a thread of one Iā€™ve been working on.

This is an actual ā€œthing?ā€ Oh interesting!

Edit:

I understand now. Grooves are created and trees are fit inside of them to create a composition. I have seen this. Is there a blurred line between tanuki and yamadori?

I think what I was considering was not adding a live tree or placing one into/on the skeleton of my dead previous tree. I was actually thinking of just lime sulfuring it and securing it into a pot with akadama šŸ¤Ŗ

Last edited:

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I rarely work dead wood unless I need to or the tree requires it. I just let it age naturally - when it get's a few years in the weather I start to treat it, but I rarely carve it unless it's rotted out.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What exactly is the point of this thread?

It's the same tree that's featured in this thread, no?

why not just update your first thread? Also, there's a conifer forum that this thread might be better suited to than the general discussion forum

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

why not just update your first thread? Also, there's a conifer forum that this thread might be better suited to than the general discussion forum
Good point!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

What exactly is the point of this sassy reply?

The guy wanted to post his tree.
Why spend time complaining and being rude when you could just scroll on and engage with a post that you appreciate?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love it and think itā€™s a great idea. Hereā€™s an ancient one from the Brooklyn botanical gardens. I believe it grew as a live tree for centuries and then was maintained as deadwood. Perhaps I should try something similar to you and learn about the use of deadwood so I can finally start working with pines.

Attachments

• IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love it and think itā€™s a great idea. Hereā€™s an ancient one from the Brooklyn botanical gardens. I believe it grew as a live tree for centuries and then was maintained as deadwood. Perhaps I should try something similar to you and learn about the use of deadwood so I can finally start working with pines.
Wow!

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember seeing that the last time I was at the BBG and it gave me these ironic feeling that since it was dead wood it will probably rot away before a living tree would die. Another bonsairony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom