Dawn Redwood wilting out of the blue.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's over fertilization it won't kill it. Might lose some needles and tips, but it'll bounce back. Just flush with water and go back to your normal routine.

I can't speak for Michigan sun, but here in the PNW the only time I get burnt new growth on these in full sun is when they don't have enough water. They go through a lot. I usually grow them in shallow drip trays so there is always some water available. If they dry out even briefly they'll brown at the tips.
I'm in southern Indiana. I can add to the consensus that over watering would be a difficult thing to do. I've not encountered the wilt you are having but I know that in the summer heat, wind tends to be the culprit for browning. I'm definitely not an expert but over fertilizing could definitely be a contributer here. The winter season was rough here and I'm still seeing ripples of it in my trees.

When was it last repotted? I only ask because I have two and one was repotted this spring after two years the other I did not because I had missed the window. The difference between the two has been quite noticable. They fill up a container quite quickly, heh. Ultimately the one I missed repotting had to be broken out of it's container and is now in the ground. It wasn't dying but it definitely was struggling compared to the other.

Edit : I just checked Bonsai Empire's care sheet for redwood and it says they are rarely ever attacked by pests or disease. Fwiw
EDITED EDIT: I just realized there were more pages to this thread than I realized. So now I feel foolish, lol. As to the cost of material, I got two saplings three years ago and for both it was under 20 bucks. Granted time is money but with cases like DRW and BC they are prolific growers so it's not quite the wait as normal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could you tell me the name of the nursery? i'm looking to pick up a big Dawn Redwood and wouldn't mind driving a way to get one as big as you mention.
Green Witch Gardens 8930 S Custer Rd, Monroe, MI 48161 That's a long drive from CA to MI. :) They still had a dozen or less last Saturday.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Green Witch Gardens 8930 S Custer Rd, Monroe, MI 48161 That's a long drive from CA to MI. :) They still had a dozen or less last Saturday.
I've recently moved to the Chicago area so I thought it might be worth the 4 hr drive if the trees were super nice. :) You don't happen to have photos of those 10-12" trunks do you? How tall were those ones?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've recently moved to the Chicago area so I thought it might be worth the 4 hr drive if the trees were super nice. :) You don't happen to have photos of those 10-12" trunks do you? How tall were those ones?
No pics. I can take some the next time I go. :) It's not a far drive for me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I'd really appreciate it! I can only find 4" caliper in my area at most.
I just saw on FB that Green Witch Gardens is going to three shows this weekend so, I probably won't go this weekend since they (rightfully) take a lot of inventory to the shows. Last time I went on a show weekend it looked like the place had been robbed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was in the area this morning so I stopped in and took some pictures. I didn't see the biggest trunk one they had weeks ago. @cbrshadow23 Here are the biggest ones they had.

I didn't bring anything for perspective so I used a "Jackson" since a U.S. dollar bill is 6.14 inches long and 2.61 inches wide.

First one from the back
DRW1a.jpg
close up of trunk in the front.
DRW1c.jpg

#2 forgot the bill on this one it's about the same size as the first trunk. Back

DRW2a.jpg

Front
DRW2B.jpg

Number 3

DRW6A.jpg

DRW6B.jpg

Here's another.

DRW3A.jpg
DRW3B.jpg

They probably had 10 trees with trunks between 4-6 inches. This pic shows the two benches in the back with the those trees, and some smaller starter ones as well.
PXL_20230916_144331277.jpg

Hard to get a worthy picture of this forest & the sun wasn't helping. They also have a smaller forest.

DRWF1A.jpg
DRWF1B.jpg

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I was in the area this morning so I stopped in and took some pictures. I didn't see the biggest trunk one they had weeks ago. @cbrshadow23 Here are the biggest ones they had.

I didn't bring anything for perspective so I used a "Jackson" since a U.S. dollar bill is 6.14 inches long and 2.61 inches wide.

First one from the back
View attachment 508980
close up of trunk in the front.
View attachment 508981

#2 forgot the bill on this one it's about the same size as the first trunk. Back

View attachment 508984

Front
View attachment 508985

Number 3

View attachment 508988

View attachment 508989

Here's another.

View attachment 508994
View attachment 508995

They probably had 10 trees with trunks between 4-6 inches. This pic shows the two benches in the back with the those trees, and some smaller starter ones as well.
View attachment 508991

Hard to get a worthy picture of this forest & the sun wasn't helping. They also have a smaller forest.

View attachment 508992
View attachment 508993
Thanks a lot for posting those photos. Awesome. Do you know how much they want for the first one you posted (with the open $20 bill)?
What's the price range for these generally?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks a lot for posting those photos. Awesome. Do you know how much they want for the first one you posted (with the open $20 bill)?
What's the price range for these generally?
No, sorry I don't remember the exact price, but the one your asking about is expensive. I want to say $1200 but I really don't remember. Here's a picture of the front of that one, the price tag is on the right but I can't read it.

1695073275331.png

The one price I do remember is the Redwood forest, mainly because I like it so much $3300.00 :eek:

1695073709780.png

I'd say all of the bigger trunk ones I posted are $600 plus. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Top Bottom