Desmodium - Blue Bell

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is my new favorite specie.
Qualities: Bendy, Lovely branching structure, fast grower, prolific fragrant flower all summer long.
So glad I found one last year.
20230514_114736.jpg20230514_114449.jpg20230514_114222.jpg20230514_114255.jpg

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I had thoughts of acquiring one for my collection. However, the more I looked into it the less I’m inclined to get one. The main reason being I just don’t need another tropical enslaving my life. I want to enjoy the cold months going on vacation and not thinking about or caring for plants. I am envious of you and others with beautiful desmodiums. Perhaps seeing one in person may sway my decision more favorably, but until then I’ll be on the fence enviously enjoying others’ desmodium bonsai.

Once upon a time, I had thoughts of acquiring one for my collection. However, the more I looked into it the less I’m inclined to get one. The main reason being I just don’t need another tropical enslaving my life. I want to enjoy the cold months going on vacation and not thinking about or caring for plants. I am envious of you and others with beautiful desmodiums. Perhaps seeing one in person may sway my decision more favorably, but until then I’ll be on the fence enviously enjoying others’ desmodium bonsai.

I understand.

I got one from Wigert's last fall. It did fine all winter. I'm hoping to see and smell some blooms soon, now that it's outside.

Never knew there were any woody desmodiums. There's several species around here, all herbaceous and all go by the name beggar's lice. If work finds me in the bottoms in October, I'll be spending time scraping beggar's lice seeds off my clothes.

Very pretty, are you going to pot it this year?
Hi Judy, I might up pot it as I want the trunk a little bit bigger.
We had some cold nights in the teens past winter... I put them in the shed along with other tropical and a radiator heat and they did fine.

They grow from root cuttings as well by the way...if you are potting up some rough stock save the good thick roots and you'll have a pile of small trees.

Where did you keep it overwintered?
They do just fine year round indoors under lights too, mine would throw out flowers multiple times throughout the year.
They also have them with white flowers at Wigert's.

This morning...
20230516_075552-jpg.488711

Attachments

• 20230516_075552.jpg
    20230516_075552.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom