Does chojubai have thorns?

al345900

Sapling
Reaction score
I got a young chojubai (red) last week and noticed that have thorns.

I have read all the articles that were published lately (magazines and online) and I haven't read any mention of thorns.

I asked a friend that owns some old specimens, and he says that doesn't have any thorns.

Do you know if they have thorns?

Thank you,

JR

Attachments

• cho1.jpg
    cho1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 46
  • cho2.jpg
    cho2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 40
Mine sure do...they came from Brent and look just like yours.

I just got a couple of Chojubai White and they have a few thorns. Good thing you mentioned it, I may have stabbed myself working on them. ;)

I just got a couple of Chojubai White and they have a few thorns. Good thing you mentioned it, I may have stabbed myself working on them. ;)

I'm far from an authority but grow both white and red, and one thats kinda kubrick orange. The juvenile growth even on older trees can have some brutal thorns.....congrats new branch, errrr sorry about that knife I grew says the tree.

nice to see white gets a mention. Mostly all you hear is red when it comes to chojubai. Granted they're more course but I've yet to have a single trouble with whites. Why they call them whites, I'll never know, thought better name would be creme. My orange chojubai have a different growth habit and I've a lot to learn when it comes to turning them into something.
Really course..... worse then the whites I need to start making starts instead of tossing all my pruning away. Some day I should take a picture of my whites. One giantic mass of green. I love all my quinces, chinese, japanese flowering.....

Back
Top Bottom