Facebook Bonsai Auctions - how many really know bonsai?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not going to point fingers, but does anyone else sense that some of the sellers on Facebook Bonsai Auctions don't really know what they're selling? Some very good stuff there... and some very not so good stuff that people are asking $$$ for.

I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as the seller is forthright about what they are selling. But some of the descriptions go beyond "flowery marketing speech" in my opinion. Most over-used phrase: "Specimen". Makes me think of a visit to the doctor, LOL.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm not going to point fingers, but does anyone else sense that some of the sellers on Facebook Bonsai Auctions don't really know what they're selling? Some very good stuff there... and some very not so good stuff that people are asking $$$ for.

I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as the seller is forthright about what they are selling. But some of the descriptions go beyond "flowery marketing speech" in my opinion. Most over-used phrase: "Specimen". Makes me think of a visit to the doctor, LOL.
Yes I have noticed it big time and have only bought pots off the auction. When I bought pre bonsai it’s 90% natives from a reputable seller that I usually do direct sale with after a while observing what they list for sale. I can count the real deal bonsai sellers on one hand though. The good ones do direct sales and don’t post on there often either.

Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't get me started on FB Auctions. Did anyone see the $9 lazy Susan that some dope tried to sell for $45? Buyer didn't pay, I have a feeling someone sent them the Amazon link to the exact product lol.

I've bought exactly 1 thing and don't even really look anymore. Mostly junk, I haven't seen a lot of good stuff go for cheap. Mostly the opposite.

That said I saw a desert rose go for like $50, I have a couple that look better I might list if they're going for that.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There is one very reputable bonsai nursery that posts lots of trees on the auctions, which I guess gives them more exposure. But you could just go on their website and buy the same thing cheaper and not have to mess around with the whole bidding thing.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I rarely buy but always look. Never know. I am often both shocked at the prices many want and the prices that many people will pay. I have sold a handful of items and was shocked how aggressive or rude some bidders are in the PMs. I had a winner demand shipping receipts because he thought I was gouging him. I sold the Nick Lenz book once with no minimum and no reserve and was blasted by several people for not giving it away. Still better to have it than not have it.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been looking for a Bougainvillea for awhile. I can't find them local. So I looked on the Facebook auction. I found a small one for 45. I checked wigerts and found one in a 7 inch pot for 25. I dont think I will be using the auction that much.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the overuse of the word “rare”. I’ve bought a couple pots and trees off there. I’ve sold some stuff on there also. And I won’t buy from someone I’ve never heard of. I quit selling trees on there because of people complaint about shipping costs. I get the best deal I can and still had people argue with me so I just stopped.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One has to be really selective. I recently bought a small Japanese white pine. The graft is very good and the purchase price was much less than I have seen elsewhere. When I unpacked the tree it was better than I expected! It is NOT a specimen tree but it is nice and will allow me to work with and learn a species that I have never worked with before without the risk of killing an expensive tree. I look weekly but this is the first tree I have bought in at least 2 years.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've been on 99 Cent Bonsai Auctions and Bonsai Auctions, (both versions).

When I first joined, they made an attempt to vet the membership, they were initially closed groups. The first couple years, most of the sellers and bidders I recognized from BNut or IBC or one of the other internet bonsai forums. The last year or two all the forums have been swamped with names I no longer recognize.

When I have bought from vendors with names I know I have always been satisfied. I would shy away from vendors you don't recognize for involvement in other areas.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve bought a few things from the auction pages over the years But I’ve sold a ton of things there. Pots, books, mags, trees, starter material, pre bonsai stock etc. I’ve been fortunate to not have had more than one or two annoying buyers. I’ve been listing pretty regularly last couple of months of items I’m trying to get rid of and it’s been good. I usually list things pretty cheap with no reserve or buy it now and let the market decide. Just be an honest seller and pack your items well and you’re good.

there are a number of people selling severely overpriced trees. It’s gross but usually there are a few folks who make a comment or click the laugh emoji so hopefully that makes noobs pause before bidding. But people will pay stupid money for garbage material sometimes.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really enjoy the auction, I have bought and sold a bit on them. BUT! I feel knowledgeable enough to navigate through the over priced and misidentified trees. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone who is inexperienced

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately it's a case of the perception that bonsai and anything labeled as bonsai = expensive. So people think plunking a $20 landscape juniper into $10 cheapo pot with a little pruning can sell for $$$$$. Im sure some do sell to people who don't know any better so it perpetuates the stupidity

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

We should have an auction platform here! Why should FB have all the fun?

Top Bottom