First air layer attempt

You'll probably have to cut a few holes somewhere up top to get whatever watering device you use in there. Also, cut some holes in the bottom of the bag so it can drain if you haven't yet.

Technically it doesn't need to be wet until roots form, but I too keep my layers saturated the whole time.

It looks like you left a lot of cambium or did you scrape it more before you wrapped it up? If not you may get some bridging and that will prevent rooting. I did several last summer and I know I scraped cleaner than that. I got good calluses, but no roots. I'm going to redo them as soon as they leaf out. I've seen some that actually whittled out the space down to heartwood, so it's real important to get all the cambium. Also saw that the area was left to air dry after scraping before the hormone and moss pack. I didn't do that either. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Best of luck to you. You can wait and see or it's not too late for a redo. When I redo mine I'm going to try a wire wrap tourniquet.

It looks like you left a lot of cambium or did you scrape it more before you wrapped it up? If not you may get some bridging and that will prevent rooting. I did several last summer and I know I scraped cleaner than that. I got good calluses, but no roots. I'm going to redo them as soon as they leaf out. I've seen some that actually whittled out the space down to heartwood, so it's real important to get all the cambium. Also saw that the area was left to air dry after scraping before the hormone and moss pack. I didn't do that either. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Best of luck to you. You can wait and see or it's not too late for a redo. When I redo mine I'm going to try a wire wrap tourniquet.
There is no cambium left on that one. He actually took a little wood with it. I don’t think he’s going to have any troubles with bridging on that one 😂

I'm judging by his picture, you can see a little pink spot. That's the heartwood and the white is cambium that wasn't scraped off. Just going from the picture, but if you were there then you would know better.

I'm judging by his picture, you can see a little pink spot. That's the heartwood and the white is cambium that wasn't scraped off. Just going from the picture, but if you were there then you would know better.
I tried to go fairly deep and I would Say the top part is a bit deeper than the bottom half. Was harder to scrape than I thought It would be but just used a utility knife. I will have to poke some holes in it as I did not do that.

I water my layers whenever I water the tree they are on.

If you use wire to wrap around the top and bottom of the plastic then you can leave it a bit loose up top and the sphagnum will get watered every time you water the tree. You also will find that until roots develop and start to take up water the sphagnum will not need as much water. I pop a few holes in the bottom for drainage so it does not become soaking wet.

I tried to go fairly deep and I would Say the top part is a bit deeper than the bottom half. Was harder to scrape than I thought It would be but just used a utility knife. I will have to poke some holes in it as I did not do that.
Sorry about my bit of over concern. I'm totally reacting from my own failed first attempts. I tried to do everything I read, saw, or heard. I did have some success, but not the really important ones, not the Makawa yatsubusa branch I want to make a raft with. Cool thing is that if at first you don't succeed and the piece doesn't die you get to try again. I had a couple of smaller pieces die.

Sorry about my bit of over concern. I'm totally reacting from my own failed first attempts. I tried to do everything I read, saw, or heard. I did have some success, but not the really important ones, not the Makawa yatsubusa branch I want to make a raft with. Cool thing is that if at first you don't succeed and the piece doesn't die you get to try again. I had a couple of smaller pieces die.
Well if it succeeds I will update with pictures of roots.

I think the thin green layer is the cambium layer
Screenshot_20240430_135359_Chrome.jpg

So should I try To go deeper at bottom layer? Definitely want to do it soon if so
Yes, you've went plenty deep imo too, nice job. Side note though, some trident are harder to layer than others and will bridge easily. Some are easier.

Yes, you've went plenty deep imo too, nice job.
Thanks sounds like I should just poke some holes in top and bottom then from some things I read although have seen conflicting views on that as well.

Back
Top Bottom