First Attempt

mwkohler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first attempt at starting to develop a bonsai from nursery stock. I probably should have trimmed the lower branches more, but I removed 60%+ as it was.

Helpful critiques welcome1000000703.jpg1000000701.jpg1000000705.jpg

You've got the right idea but you may have gone a bit overboard with the amount of foliage you removed in one go.

Water it when it needs it and let it recover.

Nice work. That’s a lot of branch and foliage removal for one time. After some recovery time and regrowth you can take a close look at branch placements and growth directions.

Good start. Just keep it alive for now and get a feel for your tree.
The bottom branch left needs to go in my opinion but maybe better next year. In comparison you left a lot in the top. Usually you cut back more there to balance the energy of the tree.
There is also this big circling root that needs attention but not now.

Thanks. I saw the root and knew it was going to need to good on a repot, but wasn't going to touch it now.
This is a dwarf Alberta spruce. I understand the wiring probably won't take, but I needed the practice. For a $10 nursery plant I wasn't stressing too much

For a first attempt it’s pretty good. I’m a beginner and always afraid to remove too much foliage. It’s easy to get carried away which I have a tendency to do with my repots of nursery material but all have survived so far. As someone else said the circling root sticks out for me. I also would consider looking again at branch placements. Some dive down more than others while the first branch on the left in particular is more upright. Depends what style you’re going for but if you want trunk movement nows the time to wire the trunk and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom