First potting bench

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After about a year of using a makeshift bench of saw horses and plywood I finally built a potting/display bench. I melded a couple of different designs off of youtube and improvised a bit as I was trying to build it with existing materials--some reclaimed and some new but left over from previous projects.

IMG_4963.jpeg

The backside is open for storage of my bins of soil mix and other supplies, but at some point I will remove the front planks and add doors. For now I just wanted an easy way to hide them from site for the purpose of an upcoming gathering.

Nice.
I bought a plastic one years ago.
It's held up ok but it's not as nice as yours.

Nice! It's small though. As long as you're working with shohin or smaller this is great. You will find that this kind of set up with the shelves in the back can be a pain in the rear if you have larger bonsai. Not enough work space.

Nice! It's small though. As long as you're working with shohin or smaller this is great. You will find that this kind of set up with the shelves in the back can be a pain in the rear if you have larger bonsai. Not enough work space.
Good point. Guess I need to build another bench that is dedicated to just work space and fill this one up with trees. Shame.

Good point. Guess I need to build another bench that is dedicated to just work space and fill this one up with trees. Shame.
I have found that shelves/tables that are narrower than at least 24" are just too small for much more than shohin trees. Narrower shelves lead to trees shoved up against walls, other shelves etc. Work tables smaller than that make handling medium to large trees at repotting time very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom