Flowers, 2016

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
thanks everyone. Whatever my plant is, I like it, I like both of them. As time permits I'll try to sort the names out, but no rush. I'm keeping both, and am not selling cuttings, so name doesn't really matter.

But I do love Satsuki's.

So do I, it doesn't matter what the name is, they are beautiful just the same. I have many for which I do not know the name.

John

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My baby pomegranates have started budding. This is the first one that opened so far:
IMG_7736.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So do I, it doesn't matter what the name is, they are beautiful just the same. I have many for which I do not know the name.

John
As do I! Please @Leo in N E Illinois do not think I was saying anything negative about your trees! They are very pretty blooms!

Heck I didn't even realize two of mine were Wakaebisu until I saw the close up of the blooms in this very thread! LOL

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Eric Group - I'm not at all upset, I just have not had time to look up info, so I could add something meaningful. I "try" to avoid typing about something I don't know anything about, :rolleyes: it is true I rarely can contain myself, so this was a rare exception. Actually this is exactly the sort of puzzle that keeps me interested in something, I'll chew on this off and on, for months or years until I sort it out, as a fun puzzle, not as an irritation. Something I learned from collecting orchids. If you are not sure about the identity of something, hit the reference books and actually read the descriptions of when something was first described, or collected or in azalea's case, hybridized or propagated. I've got Callahan's book. I need to read what it says about Waka Ebisu, just haven't "located it" yet, it is "somewhere in the house". I am not neat and orderly. I wonder which pile of "stuff" it is under? Better yet would be if I could read Japanese, and read the first published description of Waka Ebisu. THAT would be the one that really counts. I know I won't follow through, I don't have the time & resources to do so, but I will try to find Callahan's book.

In the orchid world, there have been cases where seemingly "everyone" was call a species of Paph by one name, where if they had simply read the late 19th century description, it would have been obvious that that name was wrong, and that the correct name was published less than a year later, in the same journal. I mean thousands of people were using the wrong name, photos had been published under the wrong name. We are talking about a species collected from the wild, so the plants did not sprout with name tags. ;)

I could have something that is not Waka Ebisu, but it is sure is pretty, and I would eventually like to be able to label it. Because the multicolored Satsuki are some form of chimera (either genetic DNA chimeras, or epigenetic chimeras in terms of gene expression) it is possible, that through the mass vegetative propagation of Waka Ebisu, some strains may have popped up that lost the chimera traits of the original. Meaning I got one where the chimera traits still exist. OR mine is not right, and indeed what everyone calls Waka Ebisu is the "correct form" and mine is something else. Sorting this out to the 95% confidence level, will take time, and some serious reading. One example of this phenomena is the quince, Toyo Nishiki. It is well known that if you have one branch with solid red flowers, and grow cuttings from it, it will always flower red. Technically this red Toyo Nishiki should have a different name, as it has lost the defining trait of Toyo Nishiki - that being its chimera flowers. Similarly, I know many azaleas that have all the same color flowers came from a similar loss of chimera traits, and these azaleas get different names. But I really can't say anything more about mine, or anyone else's Waka Ebisu, since I haven't read the "official" description and compared. If someone has their books handy, especially if they have more than one reference, it might be helpful to post the "official" description of Waka Ebisu, and see if our flowers match the "official" descriptions.

But my time is short, I'm already over my time limit for typing today. :) I'll come back to this at a later date, armed with references, and "official" descriptions, but until then, it is just a curious, fun little puzzle..

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my 'Ai No Tsuki' that I got at the same time as the "Yata No Tsai', in late 2014 from Wayne Jupp. Again still more or less 'pre-bonsai', I take my time before chopping them back, simply because I like to see a couple good bloomings before I butcher them.
It is only showing a single bloom with a purple sector, I hope it will show the purple more often in the future, I will preserve that branch when I do "style" this to a tree.

Satsuki-Ai no Tsuki-June9-2016c-front.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, up at the Illinois-Wisconsin border, spring is a full month or more behind you folks in Georgia and Alabama. The upside, I am able to survive in a home without central air conditioning. We usually have fewer than 10 days a year with temps over 90F. Usually. I do have a window air conditioner in storage, for the occasional year where this does not work out. I'm not that tough.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another Update:

Was watering this morning before bed (working midnights) and found this little lady. It is from a cutting that I struck year before last, it is called Kobai. I really like this one as the flowers are quite small, about the size of a half dollar.

View attachment 104682
I got a couple of these Kobai earlier this week, but was told a different name for them... Couldn't find the name she gave me anywhere... So I am going with your name! Kobai is much easier to say, and you seem to be as trusted a source as I know for these names... Gets so confusing translating Japanese to English! I am happy just to know Kurume Vs Satsuki! Beyond that, I just pick the ones with the blooms I like best!

The two I got are- like most the ones I get from this farm- MASSIVE (about 5 ft tall with 2-3 inch trunks down low). I am going to take a bunch of layers from these because Inlive the blooms! Some of the leaves on mine are variegated too... Have you seen that on one azaleas John?

I also picked up 3 more Wakaebisu monsters! That makes 4 of them I have that are wayyyy bigger than the norm! Wakas are pretty small trees normally...

Top Bottom