Fukien Tea Yellowing Leaves

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share some additional info about your winter care? What kind of lighting are you using? Do you have other tropicals that do well under your conditions? While I don't have any fukien teas, I do have some tropicals (ficus, water jasmine, buttonwood, jaboticaba) and I'm also in an area where the trees are indoors most of the time (October to May)...still trying to figure out the best cultural techniques.

Chris

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have successfully kept the following species indoors from mid-september to mid-may for the past ten years:

Ficus retusa, macrocarpa, nerifolia
Fukien Tea
Sageretia
Serrissa
Texas Ebony
Grewia
Calliandra

The two most important and limiting factors when growing tropicals indoors are light and humidity. As for the latter, a decent hygrometer is a must (shouldn't cost more than 40$). Now, obviously you can't keep your house at 60% humidity, but I've found that even my sageretia--which by all accounts are humidity loving trees--do not need heavy misting if the humidity in my house stays above 35%. That said, my Dad, who lives in western Canada, often sees indoor humidity levels in the teens. What I recommend in such conditions is to buy yourself a large used aquarium with a lid, and display your trees in there. So, get yourself a hygrometer, and see what your average indoor humidity is like.

As for lighting, I use a 1000 watt metal halide on a light mover over my large specimens, a 600 watt on a light mover over my figs, and 15 4' High Output T5's in my propagation room.
This, of course, is not a cheap set-up, and my electricity bills rival my mortgage payments, but you needn't start out with something this elaborate. For trees 14" and under, a bank of 4 - 5 T5 high output fluorescents will do just fine. Of course, if you just want your trees to survive winter, rather than thrive, then placing them in south/west facing windows will suffice. But why not start with one light, then next month add another, and so on.

Finally, you need to pay close attention to watering indoors. I find that despite the dryer indoor atmosphere, it still takes a lot longer for trees to dry out inside. This is where your soil mix comes into play. I use the following for all my tropicals: 30% orchid growers bark (you'll have to find someone who sells the small stuff 1/8 - 3/8"), 30% Turface (If you can't find turface, go to your local big box hardware store and ask whether they have "Shultz Aquatic Planting Soil"), 30% Crushed lava 1/4" size. Sieving is a must! This is a fast draining mix, and most of my trees need watering three times a week while indoors. More interestingly, this mix has an neat property: while excess water drains completely, the lava tends to hold small amounts in its highly porous surface. This means that when outside, even on the hottest days (100 degrees plus) in full sun, none but my smallest/shallowest trees need more than once a day watering.

I like to use a 25 gallon reservoir to store water. At the beginning of the week I fill it from the tap, then add fertilizer and aerate it with a small air stone or mixing pump (never leave water stand motionless for longer than a day; aerating stabilizes Ph and speeds up chlorine dissipation). This way, when my plants need watering, I simply dip my watering can in the reservoir and water away. That said, a basic idea of what's in your main's water is useful. Try taking a darkly colored ceramic plate a filling it with water. Let the water evaporate and examine whether or not the plate has a left-over film. This will indicate a higher than normal mineral concentration in your water. If this is the case, you'd be well advised to get a filter for your bonsai water. Also, it is a good idea to let water stand (not motionless, but aerated) for at least 24 hours prior to using it. This is about the time it takes for chlorine to dissipate. Chlorine in small doses probably won't hurt your plants, but even small doses can kill colonies of beneficial micorrhizal fungi that aid in your plant's nutrient uptake.

A visit to your local hydroponics store can be a real eye opener. These guys are in the business of indoor gardening, and can be a wealth of information...So long as you can get over the constant use of the word 'man' and the frequent allusions to the other indoor plant.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much for sharing your "system"!

I'm working with a small collection of tropicals, including two willow leaf ficus, one tiger bark ficus, two water jasmines, one jaboticaba, one brush cherry, a buttonwood and a grewia. I've had a few of these for 2 years, but most for only one year...so I don't have a long track record yet. Most are less than 16", tallest is about 20".

The last couple of years I've grown under a bank of 4' fluorescents...mostly T12 and T8 and mixed bulbs (cool white and some full spectrum). Growth the past couple of winters varied but many of the plants didn't exactly flourish, despite being very close to the tubes. Recently I dug out an old 400 W metal halide fixture that was in storage (I used to grow orchids under it) and am currently using that plus a high output compact fluorescent for my primary light sources. I don't have access to a good window, and even if I did the winter weather around here is so cloudy that I'd probably still have to use supplemental lighting.

Indoor humidity is OK now (about 45%) but does drop when the weather gets really cold. I do mist the growing area occasionally during those periods.

I'm using pre-mixed bonsai soil for most of my tropicals, the components are very similar to what you described. I'm also watering about 3x a week for active growing plants...a couple require a little more often.

One thing I'm curious about regarding your watering - it seems you basically fertilize continuously? (Since you add fertilizer to your water container at the beginning of the week and then use that water every time) I'm curious as to what type of fertilizer and concentration you use...not interested in starting a fertilizer war as I realize there are many acceptable approaches. Just interested in what works for you.

Thanks again,

Chris

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much for sharing your "system"!

I'm working with a small collection of tropicals, including two willow leaf ficus, one tiger bark ficus, two water jasmines, one jaboticaba, one brush cherry, a buttonwood and a grewia. I've had a few of these for 2 years, but most for only one year...so I don't have a long track record yet. Most are less than 16", tallest is about 20".

The last couple of years I've grown under a bank of 4' fluorescents...mostly T12 and T8 and mixed bulbs (cool white and some full spectrum). Growth the past couple of winters varied but many of the plants didn't exactly flourish, despite being very close to the tubes. Recently I dug out an old 400 W metal halide fixture that was in storage (I used to grow orchids under it) and am currently using that plus a high output compact fluorescent for my primary light sources. I don't have access to a good window, and even if I did the winter weather around here is so cloudy that I'd probably still have to use supplemental lighting.

Indoor humidity is OK now (about 45%) but does drop when the weather gets really cold. I do mist the growing area occasionally during those periods.

I'm using pre-mixed bonsai soil for most of my tropicals, the components are very similar to what you described. I'm also watering about 3x a week for active growing plants...a couple require a little more often.

One thing I'm curious about regarding your watering - it seems you basically fertilize continuously? (Since you add fertilizer to your water container at the beginning of the week and then use that water every time) I'm curious as to what type of fertilizer and concentration you use...not interested in starting a fertilizer war as I realize there are many acceptable approaches. Just interested in what works for you.

Thanks again,

Chris

Sounds like you have a good setup. As for my fertilizer, I use a 20-20-20 w/micronutrients at 1/4 strength. I like "plant prod" because it's got all the major micronutrients. The instructions on the package say a teaspoon/gallon, so I use 6 teaspoons/25 gallons.

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks all!!!!

I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!! I HAVE A FLOWER THAT BLOOMEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Also I think the stuff on the leaves is from misting (him and I) with tap water. I believe it is hard water deposits....I've been reading my books!!!! I highly recommend Bonsai Survival Manual by Colin Lewis. (One of the books suggested by people on bonsai forums.) It is extremely helpful. It definitely helps you in more ways than one, especially when buying/judging a bonsai.

flowera.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom