Giant Sequoia Bonsai Discussions and Advice

You want to make a believable Giant Sequoia Bonsai? Stop trying to grow a small uninteresting tree into this image, start out with a larger nursery grown tree cut it down by at least half leaving you a large trunk to regrow the growth at the base as the original tree. I have seen this done effectively since 1962 when I saw the first example of this tree as bonsai in San Francisco.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll consider it.
These 2 little ones hold special memories to me as boyfriend and I went camping in Sequoia National Park, he bought me a tiny one and I got myself the taller one. When I tried to seek out for information about Sequoia Bonsai, there was not much info as other popular bonsai out on the internet. So I thought I would just put a little bit of pieces information about mine as I grow them for experiment so that if anyone else want to know, they can find it.

What I wrote about strong apical dominance and its consquence, lower branches dying as the plant grows, is visible here I think...
I did some light lower trunk pruning in early spring fyi, and found some back budding later this summer. If you can make sure the lower branches get some light they should keep from my experience

- they resent dry weather (and dry winds)
- they like "wet feet"
This doesn't sound quite right to me. Giant redwood is being used to a limited extent as a "draught tolerant" tree to replace species that can't hack our increasingly dry "mediterranean" climate here on the Salish Sea... I suppose "dry" is a relative term and we may well be much damper here than in the natural range of redwoods. IDK

Not saying this is the case, but sometimes people confuse Giant Sequoias with Coast Redwoods. They are two entirely different critters :)
Remarkably different! I have seedlings of both and the fecund and fleshiness of the coast Red wood is striking even at two inches

Back
Top Bottom