How to be a successful bonsai beginner

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi need advice on when to shape and cut my tree. It's about 3 years old
Not sure where in this thread, but I'm sure someone must have mentioned to provide specific information when asking for help. Generally where do you live? What growing conditions do you have - balcony, back yard, farm? What kind of tree are you growing? Pics can help lots when we're trying to give advice, and it's more fun to have a look at trees too.

And start a separate thread for it, and the questions, please.

luke1984

Seed
Reaction score
Sorry. Its a pine not sure wife bought a seed and I forgot.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry. Its a pine not sure wife bought a seed and I forgot.

Start a new thread for the tree and post pictures, or we won’t be able to help. Also, you’ll want to add your general location to your profile, so we know what your climate is like.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The majority of bonsai require repotting every two years to prevent the trees from becoming pot-bound, which makes it more difficult for them to absorb and retain water. An important watering tip is to monitor your tree and soil carefully and water only when necessary rather than on a regular schedule or once per day. If you want to grow a fruit bonsai plant, here are the fruit bonsai plant.
If using proper soil, it's impossible to over water.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The majority of bonsai require repotting every two years to prevent the trees from becoming pot-bound, which makes it more difficult for them to absorb and retain water. An important watering tip is to monitor your tree and soil carefully and water only when necessary rather than on a regular schedule or once per day. If you want to grow a fruit bonsai plant, here are the fruit bonsai plant.

Umm. No. Just as you shouldn't water on a schedule, you shouldn't repot on a schedule. Trees in development, growing fast, might need to be repotted every other year, but older trees with slower growth or trees in larger pots might be fine for three, four, or five years. I've heard of people repotting certain trees after ten years.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Umm. No. Just as you shouldn't water on a schedule, you shouldn't repot on a schedule. Trees in development, growing fast, might need to be repotted every other year, but older trees with slower growth or trees in larger pots might be fine for three, four, or five years. I've heard of people repotting certain trees after ten years.
I do believe that @Ericscott is a bot, oddly enough. The whole post screams AI generated.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
August, I agree. I find it hard to believe that someone with only one post would try to give advice. Then again, people constantly surprise me.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do believe that @Ericscott is a bot, oddly enough. The whole post screams AI generated.
August, I agree. I find it hard to believe that someone with only one post would try to give advice. Then again, people constantly surprise me.

I probably should have thought of that when I saw a link in the post to another website.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can almost guarantee it. I'll be honest, I'm young and spent my early love life using dating apps. Many times one would encounter rudimentary chat AI, disguised as a real human, that would be able to replicate a conversation just enough to try and lure you into a link for a webcam site or something similar. The cadence of the post suggests that kind of model. Notice how it ends with an off-topic statement about "fruit bonsai plant", and then a link to a clickbait article about fruit bonsai.

In fact, that article also looks like it was written by some kind of AI. Theres an uncanny valley element to the way these things read that kinda sets off an alarm for me. Almost human, but not.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started bonsai two years ago through a workshop with Danny Use. Since then, I have obtained several starter plants from him and through his workshops, these are further followed up and built up.

If, as a beginner, you seriously want to learn all about bonsai to apply the right techniques at appropriate times, I recommend enrolling in workshops with a bonsaimaster. It really pays off!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes! Starting with unsuitable material is maybe the most common beginner mistake.

That weeping willow cutting on Amazon is cheap, but it is a dead end. Your mom's rose bush is a dead end. That money tree at Target is a dead end. And (to be honest and at the risk of perhaps offending someone), that juniper from the roadside stand is probably also a dead end.

Other dead ends/scams:
-seed kits or seeds in general (if doing that to start out)
-wisteria cuttings
-sago palms

Good beginner material:
Chinese elms (even from the roadside stands!) (or any other elms, really)
Ficuses
Nursery stock (of a suitable species) with a promising trunk.
I live in area thats difficult to source particular species. Growing from seeds or cuttings is my only option for certain species like Chinese elm, Japanese maple species, cotoneaster ect. Is that just a waste of time or unrealistic expectations?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Growing from seeds or cuttings is my only option for certain species like Chinese elm, Japanese maple species, cotoneaster ect. Is that just a waste of time or unrealistic expectations?
I think mixing in nursery stock that can be more actively worked early on is helpful to learning. If you're growing stuff out from propagation material for several years, you won't be able to apply most bonsai techniques. I'm sure the availability of decent coniferous trees at nurseries in Utah is quite good. In my short experience, prostrate species tend to have decent bonsai material at regular nurseries, and I have particular luck with junipers.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live in area thats difficult to source particular species. Growing from seeds or cuttings is my only option for certain species like Chinese elm, Japanese maple species, cotoneaster ect. Is that just a waste of time or unrealistic expectations?

It's good to work with trees that will thrive in your climate. Here on the Delmarva Peninsula, the climate is supposedly very similar to the climate in Japan, and the traditional Japanese species can live here. Even so, I prefer working with North American natives.

There's probably a very good reason it's hard to find those species where you live. If you're in the mountains or desert, you won't see much success with those hard-to-find species. What grows in your area? Pine? Juniper? Grow the trees you see growing around you.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So focus on repeating other peoples' successes, instead of other peoples' failures.

Find someone with experience, and use their experience as your starting point. Try to learn everything they know - and master it, even if it takes you five or ten years.
For me in bald cypress bonsai, I looked at @johng, @BillsBayou, @Mellow Mullet trees, found their videos online and studied them. That gave me a tremendous start. 3 years ago I started and now I am comfortable with the horticultural aspects and have practiced some of the shaping techniques shown by them. Then I also looked at some very artistic trees by @MACH5 & @Cadillactaste as inspiration. I don't know how far I can go but I think I have made good progress.

I also learned the value of getting better trees. I spent two years playing with seedlings and small bald cypress from big box stores. I think that is one year too long. One year is necessary and sufficient. Right now, if I start from BC seeds, that will be for defined purposes and not for the sake of learning.

One of these days when I have more time, I will then try to get some hands-on experience/study sessions with the experts, much like what @IzzyG has done. I believe that will lift me to the next level.

I took the same approach with Mayhaw. Not finding many examples out there, I looked for similar hawthorns by experts out there and try to learn from them. Around here, I really like the hawthorns done by @BobbyLane.

Most important of all, I have enjoyed my bonsai journey. I took tremendous joy when my grandson wants to help grandpa water the trees.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For me in bald cypress bonsai, I looked at @johng, @BillsBayou, @Mellow Mullet trees, found their videos online and studied them. That gave me a tremendous start. 3 years ago I started and now I am comfortable with the horticultural aspects and have practiced some of the shaping techniques shown by them. Then I also looked at some very artistic trees by @MACH5 & @Cadillactaste as inspiration. I don't know how far I can go but I think I have made good progress.

I also learned the value of getting better trees. I spent two years playing with seedlings and small bald cypress from big box stores. I think that is one year too long. One year is necessary and sufficient. Right now, if I start from BC seeds, that will be for defined purposes and not for the sake of learning.

One of these days when I have more time, I will then try to get some hands-on experience/study sessions with the experts, much like what @IzzyG has done. I believe that will lift me to the next level.

I took the same approach with Mayhaw. Not finding many examples out there, I looked for similar hawthorns by experts out there and try to learn from them. Around here, I really like the hawthorns done by @BobbyLane.

Most important of all, I have enjoyed my bonsai journey. I took tremendous joy when my grandson wants to help grandpa water the trees.
Blown away...by the tag to be honest. Thank you...first off. It's... humbling to see how another perceives you. As I clearly feel...I putz about...in my own little world so far removed from an actual bonsai community other than online. That...I sometimes...feel, foolish messing with my little trees. Then...I pause and remind myself...end of the day. We all...do it for ourselves first and foremost. For the joy they bring.

Though...I do feel, one should have at least one tree...with good bones on their bench. They deserve it...even raw bones to take further. Character bones...truly allows one to enjoy it at its ganglier stage of development. Find a cup...and throw money into it...and don't touch it until you can buy one tree that speaks to your heart. I'm not talking thousands of dollars... but within ones means. If $175 seems like a lot. Let that be your goal. And get that cup out...and do it I believe that amount can...get bones in some species that when finally developed...make you puff your chest out.

I'm not knocking ones passions for propagating... but...you want to feel you are taking yourself seriously. Find that cup...and start building a small nest egg for good bones. But if you are new to the hobby...study styles...find the one that truly appeals to you. Do your homework before spending that kind of money...and find what really will be appreciated. 😉

xray

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My biggest challenge this first year is the winter care.
Already down to +1c (33f) over night.
Thinking of getting a cold frame.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also live in Utah and I have had some good luck buying from cactus and tropicals. There are lots of good conifers and rare species that are great for bonsai. They get all or most of their stuff from Iseli like many nurseries so they for sure get some great material you just need to check there weekly or daily since the good stuff doesn’t last long.

Top Bottom