I got to meet Vance Wood!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not only did I meet him but got to spend hours with him. He sent me a PM about a month or so ago saying that he would like to meet me. Me! What the hell right. I'm nobody. He said his bonsai club Four Seasons Bonsai club was having a show and could I come down. There was only one answer. F. Yeah! I offered to come down early to help him transport and set up his things but he declined. I was hoping to get a look in his back yard was all. But he had the transportation handled.
One thing. For me a chance to meet Vance Woods is like someone who golfs getting a chance to meet Tiger Woods.
(No relation by the way pretty sure) I don't care what any one says Vance is a bonsai superstar. Period. He won't agree because the one thing he is is a humble man when it comes to this kind of praise.
So any way I drove on down to Motown. The first morning of the show I got there and walked right by him. I was going to see some bonsai!. The first tree I looked at was his quasi-raft bonsai. Simply flabbergasted by what I saw. Then I turned and there was another Mugo of Vances that I had seen a few times on the internet. The more I looked the more beautiful trees there were. Not only Vances but the members of his club all had excellent trees on display. I was in bonsai overload.
I then went to go find Vance. Right by the door I walked through was a booth that was loaded with scotch and mugo pines. Had to be his booth. Sitting behind all that greenery was the man himself. I introduced myself and he said come sit down. He even brought a chair for me to put my fat behind in!
I told him that there were some great trees on display and he told me that I probably had some just as good. Maybe or maybe not. I'm not so sure.
The next thing he says is pick a tree for myself to work on. There was this sweet little double trunk scotch pine that I took a liking to. You don't see many double trunk bonsai and I love them. Now most of you are probably thinking he's sitting with Vance Wood and he doesn't pick a mugo. This tree I picked talked to me. And Vance is an expert on all kinds of pine bonsai. By the way there was a Japanese black pine sitting there but it wasn't saying anything to me. I let Vance have at my new tree. I was getting a Vance Wood styled tree. What could be better? I remembered to take a picture of the tree before he took it to task. I'll take a picture of the finished work here in a bit and start a thread on the tree.
After that it was time for Vance to get to work on some trees. Just watching him I learned so much on what to initially do to mugo and scotch pines I almost feel like an expert now.
Every now and then he would ask what do you think or what would you do? He was serious. Why ask me? Made me feel like he knew that I knew something. I have over 60 trees and a whole 4 are pines. I know jack shit about pines. I know a lot more now. A day and a half with him and pines and evergreens in general are going to be joining the party in my backyard.
One thing I came to realize is that everyone in Vances club respect him and they are all his friends. He is the club. Sorry Vance but that's how I saw things. He doesn't pull any punches when it comes to all things bonsai. And he knows what he's talking about. His humor is just like mine. A little rough but very funny nonetheless. I can't go into some of the things we laughed about because I wouldn't want to offend anyone. Remember the woman with her pants falling down Vance?
I think I've been long winded enough but would like to end by saying that if you get the chance to meet Vance take it. He told me it was an honor to spend some time with me but we all know that I'm the one that was honored. Knowing what I know now I would drive a lot further than 200 miles to meet Vance Woods.
Thank you Vance for one of the greatest experiences of my life. Thank you.

You describe Vance just as I pictured him. It must have been fun to meet the man behind all of the posts.

Thanks for posting/
Joedes

I would like to meet all of those who want to meet me. I remember years ago when I first started ruffling feathers on the INTERNET I crossed swords with an individual that when we met became fast friends. Very often our impressions of the people on the other ends of our debates and arguments are far different when in person.

Our new S. Or. Bonsai Club is built on the premise that if we build it, he will come.

I think people misunderstood my prior post. I think almost EVERYTHING Vance posts has humor in it...

I think people misunderstood my prior post. I think almost EVERYTHING Vance posts has humor in it...

Sometimes; those who know me best or longest, I can become a bit annoying. Nothing is exempt from a wise crack, or safe from a bit of twisting. That does not mean I cannot take anything seriously, I am actually very serious about a lot of things.

I would like to meet all of those who want to meet me. I remember years ago when I first started ruffling feathers on the INTERNET I crossed swords with an individual that when we met became fast friends. Very often our impressions of the people on the other ends of our debates and arguments are far different when in person.

Very true Vance.

Thank you. Your generous gesture sure made my day. Mike seem to had the trip of a lifetime. I can tell you this...it must have been a torture for him to keep the scheduled meeting a secret for weeks! LOL :)

Thanks again!

We need more of this type of posts here...thanks Mike! ;)

Seriously I usually get that old "I thought you would be bigger" reaction when people find out I am really not as impressive or imposing as they first thought. But it does make me feel good to find out some people are impressed. It's a lot better than those who wish me dead.

They never say I thought you would be bigger to me. It's usually " dam you're big"

Vance

Mike,

I have been to Vance's house, too a few years back. He was open to questions and had great answers. Took time for me when he was preparing for the Four Season's Show that weekend. A good teacher.

Preparing for the move north in a week.

lee

I have had the privilege of meeting both Ryan Neil and Dan Robinson in person. I found them very approachable and willing to share their knowledge. I would like to believe most people you meet in bonsai would be similar.

I don’t know that I have a list of people who I would like to meet but if I did Vance would be on it.

Mike,

I have been to Vance's house, too a few years back. He was open to questions and had great answers. Took time for me when he was preparing for the Four Season's Show that weekend. A good teacher.

Preparing for the move north in a week.

lee

I didn't ask too much . You can learn a lot by just.watching the man. Just sat there and grunted and laughed. And when he went for bathroom breaks and such he let me watch the booth. People were asking me questions like all those trees were mine. I really truly had a great time. I think I'm going to join his club even though it's a drive there. Also plan on going down to the next show if not sooner. I have this nice Bristlecone pine I'm thinking of giving to Vance. I forgot to take it in all of my excitement.

I didn't ask too much . You can learn a lot by just.watching the man. Just sat there and grunted and laughed. And when he went for bathroom breaks and such he let me watch the booth. People were asking me questions like all those trees were mine. I really truly had a great time. I think I'm going to join his club even though it's a drive there. Also plan on going down to the next show if not sooner. I have this nice Bristlecone pine I'm thinking of giving to Vance. I forgot to take it in all of my excitement.

I believe it was a Spanish member here that said they have a saying where he lives - "If you do not like someone, give them a Bonsai" :p

Grimmy

Back
Top Bottom