Identification help

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got this little tiny orange from an older gentleman who has a 37 year old bonsai tree. He does not remember the name of this tree. It bears a lot of fruit. I do not have a picture of the tree. It is very bitter with a strong orange scent. He claims he had it imported from Japan. Maybe you guys can help me identify by the picture of the fruit. I plan on propagating the seeds. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160212_091216.jpg
    IMG_20160212_091216.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to see this tree in person. I have been searching online and that is one of the species I found. It could very well be an old strain or crossed with something else. I wasn't told of any thorns on tree, but I will ask.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to see this tree in person.

I think a couple of close up pictures of the branches/foliage will help a lot. Thorns can be worked around or removed where needed so I would not be concerned. I don't see it listed as toxic...

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The fruit looks pretty like a Calamondin, but Calamondin aren't bitter; they're sour. Yup, the fruit doesn't look like that of any citrus trifoliata that I've seen. I may be wrong though.

Top Bottom