JAPAN TRIP PART 2 [SHUNKA-EN]

As I take a second tour thru the pictures, I find the details of the place draw me in. Many small ones and some large architectural, but all give a sense of calm. It would be a place you'd have to spend many days in to see and feel that tranquility. But it comes through in some of the photos.

I wonder if you can tell me, why many of the inside display tables are so low to the floor?

Thanks for that answer Dj, I thought that might be the case. I wonder how many people can actually spend that kind of contemplative time to view them that way.

Wow! Thanks, Mach5. I would have been overwhelmed to see that in person. Love the closeups on some of those trees. The fused roots in that one are crazy.

Nice photos Serg. Kobayashi's book is excellent. It's divided by seasons which is cool, and there are some really fantastic pots in it too.

I thought one of the very interesting features of your photo essay was the contrast between the simplicity and isolation of the single trees in the tokonamas (?) and the teeming chaos of the trees on the benches. It's likely that many of the trees on the benches were of high enough quality to be in the solo displays, but the vision necessary to make a selection from the benches makes Mr. Kobayashi a unique individual.

I agree Fred. Mr. Kobayashi is most definitely a master in the art of display. To your point, I will also add that in my opinion, a garden, no matter how beautiful it may be, it is never a good place to truly appreciate a bonsai. The light, the surrounding visual noise, etc all work against the appreciation of all the fine details a tree has to offer. I believe they are best seen and admired indoors in isolation against a clean, neutral background with soft lighting to properly display all of the tree's design details and intricacies.

Wow! Thanks, Mach5. I would have been overwhelmed to see that in person. Love the closeups on some of those trees. The fused roots in that one are crazy.

KM yes, when you first come in is like getting punched in the face! Ideally I think one needs to go back again to absorb and fully appreciate what this garden has to offer.

Wonderfully put together presentation of one hell of a field trip!!
I appreciated your incorporation of images detailing "lesser" elements of the garden. The dog, the glimpse of the lady smiling and Mr. Kobayashi kneeling to address something that has caught his eye....

Can you smell the soil...the fertilizer....pine resin.....? Those are things about a garden I enjoy so much....
What can I say, I'm easy to please......

So many incredible examples of Japanese Maples, stacked like cord wood.....I'm sure you lingered there, between the benches for some time. I would have as I find they have become somewhat of a favorite of mine.

Thanks for sharing a unique perspective with your clutch photography. Half of my roll of film would have been wasted on pictures of sake......

Thanks Lance! There were a few hundred maples all in one dedicated area of the garden which was recently added. So many of them I didn't know where to look. My understanding is that most are of the red leaf variety meant for the Chinese market. Many of these maples looked like they were old with their trunks and bases well developed. It appeared to me that many still needed further branch work and refinement. I would have been very happy with any of them!

Back
Top Bottom