JAPAN TRIP PART 3 [TAIKAN-TEN]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The Taikan-Ten, one of a handful of important bonsai exhibitions held annually in Japan, takes place at the Miyako Messe Hall in the beautiful and ancient city of Kyoto. This exhibition is unique in that professionals and amateurs alike get to display their trees side by side. The results are interesting with some surprises and at times a show of uneven quality. Regardless, as you will see, the overall caliber is very high and impressive. I was told that until recently, it was prohibited to take pictures at the show. I was lucky that now and I believe for the first time, unrestricted photography was allowed.

Some of the trees on display were familiar to me as I had seen them before in blogs or photos from past shows. A couple I had even seen at the sales area from pictures taken at the Green Club in Ueno Park.

Please note that not all trees are represented here, I was however able to photograph a good portion of them.

On a Friday, a day before the Taikan-Ten exhibit opened, I took the bullet train, the Shinkansen, from Tokyo to Kyoto. Amazingly, the trains all run exactly on time. Not a minute more!

On the way down to Kyoto, sometimes, if you're lucky, you can see Mt. Fuji. This time I was able to see at least part of it. It is very impressive and much more so in person!

Miyako Messe International Exibition Hall the morning before it opened its doors to inaugurate the 35th Nippon Bonsai Taikan-Ten exhibition.

Inside, the lobby was crowded and people were anxiously waiting for the doors to open to the exhibit at 9 am.

As you walked in into the exhibit, the entryway was decorated with some mosses, plants, rocks and gravel.

The space inside was clean, spacious and brightly lit.

Now let's see the exhibit!

photo courtesy of Bill Valavanis

By far, one of my favorite trees in the entire show was this triple trunk (actually four but one was hidden!) Japanese maple. Absolutely breathtaking tree that I came back several times to study it. The only thing that troubled me somewhat was the fact that all three trunks were about the same exact width. Other than that I thought it was sublime.

The exhibit was well attended by both, the general public and well known bonsai professionals alike. I took a few minutes to pose with a couple of them.

With Shinji

With Yusuke Uchida AKA "Crazy"

With... well I don't know, but he comes to many bonsai exhibits and knows how to rock it!

The sales area was impressive in size with many high quality finished bonsai and pre-bonsai material as well as pots and tools.

And even Bjorn was there with his teacher Mr. Keiichi Fujikawa from Kouka-en. I was able to chat for a while with Bjorn. Definitely one of the nicest guys in the business! Without a doubt, their sales area was by far one the best.

Last and not least, I will leave you with the grand prize winner of this year's Taikan-Ten given to an impressive Japanese black pine styled by non other than Mr. Kimura himself. We had seen this tree a couple of days earlier at his nursery being prepared for this exhibit.

I sincerely hope you have enjoyed this three part series as much as I have enjoyed sharing the photos and experiences with you. This was an incredible trip where I was able to see first hand some of the most outstanding gardens and fine examples of bonsai in the world.

To Bill and Kora my thanks and gratitude, for which this trip could have not been possible without them.

Well....another similair heartfelt thanks!
With a, sure glad you made it back safe!

@MACH5 @JudyB

The last maple in post 2.....when I first saw it, really reminds me of your trunkline Judy.
And frankly, is kinda blah to me as it represents yours with your right branches pulled down....Favor the "sun left" theme!

And the last one in post 3, your base.

Either way you 2.....Short the finer ramification, I feel something stronger when looking at your maples!
Keep up the good work!

Sorce

So much inspiration, what a great opportunity you had! Wonderful photos, thanks so much for taking us along...:)

Oh, and dig the shoes!!!

Wonderful! By the way, I can't help but repeatedly scroll back to the selling area photos. Seeing those amazing trees...sitting on the floor...wrapped in plastic?? My best tree in an antique Chinese container couldn't compete...simply amazing. Thanks for these drool worthy posts, Sergio!

Back
Top Bottom