Japaneese Maple stratification material ((substrate for stratifying seeds in (warm /cold stratification process after 24 warm soaking) " What is best"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Guess the question is few fold , bare with ik i have hard time explaining it at times, sorry in advance. what would be best or cleanest or safest material /substrate to warm/cold stratify Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum, Acer Shirasawanum, and Acer japonicum/ if there is any difference to the species) seeds in as to be safest way not to incur any malfunctions (ik isn't always possible to avoid 100%) . for example ive seen posted on other places on new perilite, sphagnum moss, peetmoss , potting mix , paper towel (white or brown kind) ect also with variables of hydrogen peroxide + water misted , bleach % with water misted on substrates in ziplock baggies with and with out holes and even moist sand or even fine pine bark or hoticultural charcoal. even with use of fungicide or w/o . Just trying to up my chances to have least issues and also be most productive of what seeds i have soaking in there warm/semi hot but not scalding water pre soak. not selling or anything so all the seeds ideally would be subject material since im low income (sorry if unneeded info or tmi / just explaining in case people might think jesh this person is being cheapskate or skipping the obvious golden more expensive route - which i agree at times is more ideal so outcome isnt lost ( ideally more trees safely sprouted is good for me in long run) also if any happen to prematurely sprout given i do have germination mats and grow lights for my house plants ect and room if they did woopsie , would Japaneese Maple seedlings be ok to grow on indoors if any did sprout before spring though ik most wont. thanks to anyone rading this as i know , again, with my disabilities i don't often articulate what im trying to say in easiest way to read and often over think and type way to much or even type well enough. apologies ahead for my failure there. thanks .

mikeybeanzz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t think it really matters the substrate. As long as it’s loose enough like peat moss and perlite or even sand and peat

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I don’t think it really matters the substrate. As long as it’s loose enough like peat moss and perlite or even sand and peat
Ok thanks , just was trying see what was more or less optimal to maybe avoid anything that might be less ideal but if it's about same long as moisture, humidity , and airflow is ok then thst also makes sense ty

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
No problem. Yea soil temp and humidity and light are more important
Do you suggest holes in the baggies or *burping the bags periodically or is thst about same more of a keep eye and check once while holes being ideally to keep moisture level added or closed baggy burping to keep humidity from to high and mold or rotting. Sorry if obvious answers or im dissecting or making this harder then need be I tend do that ik at times

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use coco coir for stratifying because you want to get all the water out, I get it wet put it in a plastic bag and squeeze all the water out. Basically I get all the water out that I can by squeezing then you know it’s the right moisture when you squeeze and there is no extra water. I then add seeds and seal it up good and put it in the fridge. Once my seeds germinate I’ll add some perlite to the coco so their is enough drainage ect.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you suggest holes in the baggies or *burping the bags periodically or is thst about same more of a keep eye and check once while holes being ideally to keep moisture level added or closed baggy burping to keep humidity from to high and mold or rotting. Sorry if obvious answers or im dissecting or making this harder then need be I tend do that ik at times

No I don’t put any holes since once all the excess water is out you don’t want it to dry more. I check on it every week or two to make sure there is no mold.

Nivel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I used 10x10x4 plastic container with perlite with some chopped sphagnum and sprinkles of water, to stratify them in the fridge, I even try a natural stratification outside with some seeds, in my Sarracenia (carnivorous plants) pots which soil consist of sphagnum peat moss and buried like 1 cm. The ones outside sprouted earlier than the ones in the fridge.
I saw Japanese just using akadama. Using a training pot, fill it 2/3 with akadama then place the seeds on top and finally cover it with thin layer of akadama no more than 1 cm. Water it and keep it in a cold frame in the outside.
I had some seed not germinating that same year but the next one in same pot so they used the natural stratification 😄.
Acer seed are easy if fresh.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I used 10x10x4 plastic container with perlite with some chopped sphagnum and sprinkles of water, to stratify them in the fridge, I even try a natural stratification outside with some seeds, in my Sarracenia (carnivorous plants) pots which soil consist of sphagnum peat moss and buried like 1 cm. The ones outside sprouted earlier than the ones in the fridge.
I saw Japanese just using akadama. Using a training pot, fill it 2/3 with akadama then place the seeds on top and finally cover it with thin layer of akadama no more than 1 cm. Water it and keep it in a cold frame in the outside.
I had some seed not germinating that same year but the next one in same pot so they used the natural stratification 😄.
Acer seed are easy if fresh.
yea thats the main issue, only seeds i can find are basically dry/dried. wish could find a source of fresh

mikeybeanzz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep your eye on it like some hole if it gets too damp or moldy crack the bag

Top Bottom