Japanese Larch Breaking Bud

Woah! Mine down in Portland aren’t yet breaking buds. Are you in an extra warm microclimate?!

Woah! Mine down in Portland aren’t yet breaking buds. Are you in an extra warm microclimate?!
Not that I know of! It's been averaging low-mid 50's every day here with plenty of rain so not sure if that has something to do it. The buds on my maples are also swelling, including a Korean Maple that is popping new buds at the inter-nodes on older wood. The forecast is looking consistently mild coming up, but will have to keep an eye on it and bring into shelter if need be. I've got a Mountain Hemlock that desperately needs repotting this spring, so I may be diving in on that sooner rather than later.

I love zone 6. I seldom have problems like yours. I don't suppose you have room in the fridge do you?

Oh yeah, mid 50s and rain will do it for a lot of plants. Once out just make sure you take it in at night never to go to 32 or colder.

Awesome! Since I’m just outside Seattle I just scurried outside to my Japanese Larch to check them out and both Japanese Larches breaking bud and both our Umes are starting to pop!

I have several breaking bud way too early, tucked into the north foundation under the bench. I've had a Feb trip to Florida planned cuz my trees should be sleeping... My solution is to put the cap on my truck and take some of them with me. Packing pots and soil components and repotting there. I'll get home early March and have to protect them I'm sure.
Shrug.
I've always had a dog. Love dogs. Last one dies 6yrs ago so I bought a roadside van Juniper and named it Fido. Much less trouble and responsibility...

I'm in the Loire valley, near Orléans, zone 8b, very few days below zero celsius (32F), and mine are still dormant ... :oops:

I keep them outside all year long, with no winter protection : maybe you put them in a greenhouse or so ?...

Same here, mine are seedlings, out of around 100 nearly half already leafed out, i trimmed the roots and planted them in new pots, they should do fine i hope, have them in the greenhouse for now.

My American larch are starting to show green through the buds but my Japanese larch are still tight. on the Americans the buds are swelling in a progression from bottom up. They are probably about a week from opening now. Gotta dig them out and see what needs being done ASAP.

American Larch (collected) - First stab at branch placement.

Attachments

• 0D4603C3-6C67-4FC3-86FE-304901534CA2.jpeg
    0D4603C3-6C67-4FC3-86FE-304901534CA2.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 31
I only repot my forest in June after the first flush is hardened off.

Back
Top Bottom