Japanese Red Beech

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After looking around it would appear that this is Fagus Crenata. There is also Fagus Japonica, but I think the leaves of Japonica are a bit rounder than crenata. Although I do have to say that a couple images of the copper spring leaf are close. But it's hard to find images of crenata to compare. Purple beech leaves are much darker, and they also stay dark in the summer, and I thought that copper leaves also stayed a bit ruddy in the summer too.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After looking around it would appear that this is Fagus Crenata. There is also Fagus Japonica, but I think the leaves of Japonica are a bit rounder than crenata. Although I do have to say that a couple images of the copper spring leaf are close. But it's hard to find images of crenata to compare. Purple beech leaves are much darker, and they also stay dark in the summer, and I thought that copper leaves also stayed a bit ruddy in the summer too.

The only Beech I have seen that has the same vein pairs as in the leaves is the Fagus hayatae Taiwan Beech. Most Beech have more vein pairs although I cannot seem to locate a picture of the leaf in the same color stage as yours I have seen some close.

Grimmy

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Excellent! Curious though... The base coloration - is that from moss removal? Seems most everything I remove moss from the base of does similar and takes a couple of years to get back to normal.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The base is freshly wet as it was well watered into the pot.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here she is in her new spring leaves. The coloration is far better in person, but it's not too shabby in photos... (yes I know the table is too small, this isn't a table I bought for this tree, but it does help to set the pot away from the white table. I'll have to get a black cloth for that table I take photos on....)
P1000654.jpg P1000656.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here she is in her new spring leaves. The coloration is far better in person, but it's not too shabby in photos... (yes I know the table is too small, this isn't a table I bought for this tree, but it does help to set the pot away from the white table. I'll have to get a black cloth for that table I take photos on....)

Now that certainly says "Good Morning!" - Nice and Thank you for sharing it :) Seems most all of my stuff is really starting slooooooooooooooow this year but over the years I just have to remind myself that slow blooms means strong blooms :confused:

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, one of my favorites, graceful and strong at the same time.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The color is fantastic,love this tree.Every now and then I see beech seedling in the local forest that take on a slight red.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great tree with unbelievable colors. Good Job! That is what we are all striving for.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful Judy! I missed your May post. Really gorgeous foliage!!!

EDIT: Judy although I do like the Iker pot, I'd love to see this tree with a more delicate looking pot. This one seems a bit heavy for this tree. The color however is perfect in my opinion.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes I agree about the pot. I may have him make me something in the same color but a bit shallower and not as heavy. I wired this one today after pulling it out to see how it was going. The pictures don't do it justice, the branching does such a dance.
P1000767.jpg P1000768.jpg P1000769.jpg P1000770.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi William, I have both a European beech and this Red Beech. They are completely different in leaf color and growth habit. So I do feel like it's something different, but I could be wrong. In any event I am having a great time with this tree!

Top Bottom