JRP Bud Selection after Candle Cutting

Zaelthus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, so I cut many of the candles on a JRP test subject of mine a few weeks ago. I have a nice selection of new buds cropping up. I've read the guides on pine candle cutting but the one thing I'm not clear on is bud selection. In the spots where 3 buds have popped should I get rid of the middle one now or wait until autumn when they have extended?

Last edited:
Personally, I would wait until later in the fall. By then, you can tell which are going to stronger and/or weaker and select accordingly.

Personally, I would wait until later in the fall. By then, you can tell which are going to stronger and/or weaker and select accordingly.

So later in the fall, there will be the newest extensions. Those extensions should be reduced to two.
At the end of the two extensions there will be multiple new buds. Should those buds also be reduced to two?

So later in the fall, there will be the newest extensions. Those extensions should be reduced to two.
At the end of the two extensions there will be multiple new buds. Should those buds also be reduced to two?
You can if you want. If you are planning to decandle next summer, they are going to be cut off next June after they have extended.

You can if you want. If you are planning to decandle next summer, they are going to be cut off next June after they have extended.
When people do choose to remove those buds, what are the primary reasons? Tidier tree from March to June? Less chance of knuckling?

When people do choose to remove those buds, what are the primary reasons? Tidier tree from March to June? Less chance of knuckling?
I can’t tell you because I don’t do it! I just wait until June and decandle then.

Back
Top Bottom