Juniiper Grafting Location Question

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this Chinese Juniper from a Neighbor's house who had a jungle growing in his front yard. It was already in a pot and had a free sign on it so I decided to grab it. This was two years ago but tree looked very similar to how it looks now with no foliage within 3' from the base of the tree. I now would like to graft with Shimpaku foliage in a few month but would like some suggestions where on the trunk to graft. Pictures 2 and 3 are where I am leaning towards placing the graft and the virtual of the tree many years from now. I only been in Bonsai for 4 years now so any critiques or advice on the direction of this tree and grafting location would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Chinese Juniper.jpg
    Chinese Juniper.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Chinese Juniper graft .jpg
    Chinese Juniper graft .jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Chinese Juniper Vert3.jpg
    Chinese Juniper Vert3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 57
If it was mine, I'd place the grafts so they aren't across the front, but that will be determined by where the live veins are located.

Consider placing them low and grow the tree upward, instead of placing them high and growing the foliage to cascade, and place at least 2, so the foliage appears naturally to the outside of curves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Brian. If I understand correctly, you see most of the lower foliage of this tree being to the left of the trunk due to the outside bend of the trunk. I will try some virtuals with this in mind. I will also think about moving the grafts to sides of the trunk if there are live veins so they are not so obvious.

I got this Chinese Juniper from a Neighbor's house who had a jungle growing in his front yard. It was already in a pot and had a free sign on it so I decided to grab it. This was two years ago but tree looked very similar to how it looks now with no foliage within 3' from the base of the tree. I now would like to graft with Shimpaku foliage in a few month but would like some suggestions where on the trunk to graft. Pictures 2 and 3 are where I am leaning towards placing the graft and the virtual of the tree many years from now. I only been in Bonsai for 4 years now so any critiques or advice on the direction of this tree and grafting location would be appreciated.

If you are in Southern California, take it to Fuji Bonsai. Roy will just be starting grafting this time of year. He is inexpensive and results for me have been 100%.
Tona

If you are in Southern California, take it to Fuji Bonsai. Roy will just be starting grafting this time of year. He is inexpensive and results for me have been 100%.
Tona

I am from So Cal but about an hour away from Fuji. I will consider taking it to him but may just try it myself due to the tree being so heavy, tall, and hard to transport . I live close to House of Bonsai so I may go there for help also. Thanks for the recommendation though.

House of Bonsai also provide grafting service, I would call Vickie (the owner) first and confirm

-Vince

At 100% success, maybe you can have Roy come to you!

Or just make the trip!

Sounds worth it. That's a nice base!

Sorce

Thanks Brian. If I understand correctly, you see most of the lower foliage of this tree being to the left of the trunk due to the outside bend of the trunk. I will try some virtuals with this in mind. I will also think about moving the grafts to sides of the trunk if there are live veins so they are not so obvious.
More than anything, placing multiple grafts provides options later. You may decide down the road that your original design concept is perfect, and you can cut away the left graft...or you may change your mind and be glad for additional styling options. Either way, the grafts need to be placed somewhere less conspicuous, and at least "with the grain".

More than anything, placing multiple grafts provides options later. You may decide down the road that your original design concept is perfect, and you can cut away the left graft...or you may change your mind and be glad for additional styling options. Either way, the grafts need to be placed somewhere less conspicuous, and at least "with the grain".

I agree with giving the tree options. Over the next few weeks I will play around with different designs and try to keep in mind they may or probably will change.

And yes Sorce, the tree has a nice base. That is why I kept the tree in the first place. I just hope I do it justice. I will update after the grafts.

Back
Top Bottom