Larch forest on lace rock no. 1

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I gotta play w the front more ,, maybe a slight turn counter clockwise.. off season or two I’ll put them closer together in better grouping.. forest is hard. On a lace rock is harder but it’s doing well horticulturally atleast
FC1ACAA4-2D25-4B2B-8C8F-0E872CDA736D.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't know if I would try to move them closer verses adding some smaller trees maybe?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Definitely repotting stress on exterior trees… gonna keep in shade after 1 pm sun. And mist. / not over water , the one tree had whitish needles last year as well.. but the buds that are pushing are a deep green
E7B2C298-267B-43FC-B018-4174021997D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 361D96E7-4798-4960-882F-A15336297C62.jpeg
    361D96E7-4798-4960-882F-A15336297C62.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 10

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
C3212C44-652D-48E0-8E40-02B3592D7855.jpeg
Trying to find a long 24” slab for these … I don’t like it in the lace rock. So I’m gonna use the lace rock for black spruces only 3 though. Great rock but too much muck… and the lace rock dries out too quickly I can’t get any moss to even propagate

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ll put them closer together in better grouping
David de Groot's section on forest spacing is a really good reference for this. The current spacing to my eyes look a bit two 1-dimensional and is spaced quite evenly. The first can be fixed a bit by rotating the front, but i think next repot you'll want to add some depth to the placements if possible on that rock.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
David de Groot's section on forest spacing is a really good reference for this. The current spacing to my eyes look a bit two 1-dimensional and is spaced quite evenly. The first can be fixed a bit by rotating the front, but i think next repot you'll want to add some depth to the placements if possible on that rock.
Yep it’s going on a slab , that rock will be used for something else in the works.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
glad to hear it! this is a really incredible piece of rock to work with, reminds me of a lot of my favorite penjing.

when you separate the trees from the rock, which one keeps this thread in the divorce? :\p
The larch will be going on a slab , spruce will be going on this rock.. and only 3 vs 7. Another aspect is never purchase Muck-o , I do not like that they have flakes of mulch in the composition. It should only be keto , akadama/fines and sphagnum.. or instead of Keto , cooked corn starch. Muck O sucks. I’ve read David De Groots book, and several others lol it’s way harder in practice than reading and diagrams , if you ever make a forest it’s not as easy as you would think.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The larch will be going on a slab , spruce will be going on this rock.. and only 3 vs 7. Another aspect is never purchase Muck-o , I do not like that they have flakes of mulch in the composition. It should only be keto , akadama/fines and sphagnum.. or instead of Keto , cooked corn starch. Muck O sucks. I’ve read David De Groots book, and several others lol it’s way harder in practice than reading and diagrams , if you ever make a forest it’s not as easy as you would think.
I've already got a sizeable collection of akadama "dust" for the day when I'm ready for a slab. I really love slabs, and have one tree in my collection that I hope to plant on a slab in the penjing tradition...but that's many years down the road.

I did just switch my soil from APL to John's mix (sub the akadama for pine fines) so maybe I'll need another source for akadama fines. oh well, still years to go there

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMG_5434.jpegDrainage / Anchor holes complete . I will do a reverse tie down and tie a few wires to those junctures to act as anchor points for the forest arrangement. Diamond granite drill bits are not joke .. cut through like butter .. just put on ear protection!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow! They are healthy and good looking trees. To enhance the composition would be to increase the number of trees and to an odd number (and smaller trees), then staggering the trees to create a foreground/middleground/background for more of a realistic miniature forest line.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow! They are healthy and good looking trees. To enhance the composition would be to increase the number of trees and to an odd number (and smaller trees), then staggering the trees to create a foreground/middleground/background for more of a realistic miniature forest line.
No .. I will not be adding more trees it’s already an odd number ..it’s not so cookie cutter as you describe.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
plus a lot of the trees are growing and will be cut down and wired once more mature , the positioning too will be improved and angles. An archipelago of trees bs a front back left side to side textbook approach

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really like this forest. I can’t imagine trying to attach it to a rock though, that must be quite a challenge. Do you think the roots are fused at all at this point? And there’s accent plants!?!?

I get the impression of a sudden cliff along the line of these trees, it would be interesting to emphasize that with some more landscaping.

Top Bottom