Larch from Seedlings

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So I have planted these larch from 2' seedlings a few years back and left them on their own. Here's where they are today.

Here's the first one. This one I'm thinking I might want to wire a little interest into the trunk while its still small enough to do so. Haven't really thought of a direction for any of these yet.

DSCF6408.JPG
DSCF6409.JPG
DSCF6437.JPG DSCF6437.JPG
DSCF6438.JPG

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These 2 are the biggest ones. Looking at trunk chopping, possibly air layering first. Not sure. I can usually get the seedlings for $3-4 each and not sure if I'll want to overload on stock right now, but might be worth an air layer for the experience. What time of year does everyone prefer to do a chop?

DSCF6465.JPG
DSCF6442.JPG DSCF6443.JPG DSCF6445.JPG

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's the last one in my ground section. Kind of overcrowded to say the least. I have a bit of clean up this spring to counteract years of neglect. lol

The close up is one spot I thought might have some interest for an air layer adding movement to the new trunk.

DSCF6448.JPG DSCF6450.JPG DSCF6457.JPG

Here's where I'm talking about.
DSCF6458.JPG

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For anyone curious what the size comparison was, it's a local micro brew, coffee infused porter. Pretty good.

DSCF6410.JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love me some American larch, those better be American! What's the plan for these guys? I've found chopping the tops of these can result in an unflattering trunk line. Yamadori yeilds some good trees but never had the gumption (still a word?) to try from a seedling.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dig that first one, with the base like a boot! If you were to chop that one, you could get some interesting movement for sure. I agree with you that if you don't have the time for more material, just chop, no air layers. Try adding crazy bends, even with small wedge cuts if needed. When your grow beds are as full as yours, experiment and enjoy!

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love me some American larch, those better be American! What's the plan for these guys? I've found chopping the tops of these can result in an unflattering trunk line. Yamadori yeilds some good trees but never had the gumption (still a word?) to try from a seedling.

Lol yes they are. Not sure for the chop part yet, why I'm looking for advice here. Lol and yes gumption is still a word

Reactions: GGB

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I dig that first one, with the base like a boot! If you were to chop that one, you could get some interesting movement for sure. I agree with you that if you don't have the time for more material, just chop, no air layers. Try adding crazy bends, even with small wedge cuts if needed. When your grow beds are as full as yours, experiment and enjoy!

That's the one I think I need to study the most & create a plan for. I'd air layer if it wasn't so easy for me to get seedlings & these didn't grow as fast as they do.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@fourteener or @crust i know you both have a lot of experience with these, do you have any advice? What's a good time to trunk chop these? Any advice on covering/dealing with the chop?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think they have a tendency to grow funky roots. If you haven't been managing the nebari while these grew out, this year might be a good time to make some air and ground layers. That's been my solution for taller material, chop it up into a bunch of trees and go from there

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think they have a tendency to grow funky roots. If you haven't been managing the nebari while these grew out, this year might be a good time to make some air and ground layers. That's been my solution for taller material, chop it up into a bunch of trees and go from there

I'm still going back & forth on layering these or not. Kind of do I want to add the extra trees or not at this point while I try to sort through what I have with a more critical eye & build up my experience level. A big part of that is the availability of these as seedlings & their growth rates. My Dawn Redwoods I have to order online are definitely getting layered though.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My 2 cents

Try to prune the top a bit to keep the trees balanced they might let the lower branches die if you dont keep them balanced !
The lower branches are probably the branches you will need in the end

Larch does not backbud on old wood just keep that in mind !

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yeah, defra's right american larch don't backbud well, maybe all Larches are that way, I try to only speak from experience. It's kind of the shame of growing out conifers, They can't just get whacked after 5 years of growing. And dawn redwoods are definitely fun to play with. I have one I trunk chop twice a year, it's my most promising stump (obviously dawn redwoods can be cut hard )

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh yeah, defra's right american larch don't backbud well, maybe all Larches are that way, I try to only speak from experience.
I chopped a european larch and it budded a lot

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My 2 cents

Try to prune the top a bit to keep the trees balanced they might let the lower branches die if you dont keep them balanced !
The lower branches are probably the branches you will need in the end

Larch does not backbud on old wood just keep that in mind !

Not too worry, that's why I want to chop them this summer while I still have those lower branches. Something I noticed right away reading about them. I just need to check on if there is a technique to use to be able to cover up the chop some how or if most just carve it. Not so much worried about summer look as I would think branches can be wired to cover it up, but mostly winter look when its bare. Then again, here not too many will be staring at it during that time. lol

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why chop when you could try and jin first ;)
The wood from larch is good for deadwood :)

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Long term larch development from seedling is definitely doable. Your techniques will be using great health and ground growing, aggressive in-ground root pruning/building, careful retention of lower foliage, strategic hack backs, hack seals can be Vaseline covered in alum foil. Process is-establish fine divided roots early, grow strong, cut leaders, retain fine lower branch, hack, cut root, grow strong, cut leaders et. al.in

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Usual failure is not establishing and developing grest rootage. Also poor hack decisions and not using post hack invigorating

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Usual failure is not establishing and developing grest rootage. Also poor hack decisions and not using post hack invigorating
Thanks for the advice! Thankfully these grow like crazy & are easy for me to get as I feel it will take a few tries for me to follow your advice successfully. I might air layer these just to have more to work on now in case I kill the others.

Top Bottom