Late Summer/Fall Decandling

I decandled in mid September. October might be a good option for our climate to perform a standard fall decandling. I just found it very fascinating that the buds fully extended and hardened in a month and a half.

Sorry - I misunderstood. Sounded like end August in your opening post. It's interesting that you got a normal decandling response in mid September.

Lanky branches plague me as well. But once the wood is 5 or more seasons old, it becomes increasingly difficult to stimulate back budding. More often I have to graft. Have you ever attempted a side veneer graft? It seems like your tree is growing well - you may have a pretty good success rate.

Scott

Last edited:
Sorry - I misunderstood. Sounded like end August in your opening post. It's interesting that you got a normal decandling response in mid September.

Lanky branches plague me as well. But once the wood is 5 or more seasons old, it becomes increasingly difficult to stimulate back budding. More often I have to graft. Have you ever attempted a side veneer graft? It seems like your tree is growing well - you may have a pretty good success rate.

Scott

Apparently, I too was confused. The tree was decandled the first week of September. Grafting black pine is the one graft I haven't done. However, I plan on attempting several grafts on that tree this February with Boon's assistance.

I am finding with pines that grafting is a must have to really develop a tree.

Update. Candles are plentiful, and very healthy. I'm a bit surprised at the vigor of the tree actually. The unusual thing is that the top 3 branches were the weakest.

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 36
Update. Candles are plentiful, and very healthy. I'm a bit surprised at the vigor of the tree actually. The unusual thing is that the top 3 branches were the weakest.
So, what is your plan for it this year? Decandling again? Same time or earlier? Going to stagger it to balance the vigor of the branches?

Looks real good with all of it's clothes on... I wasn't sure what to think of the layout until you posted this pic, now I get it.

Yes, I will decandle late July. The tree is relatively balanced but of course it could use better balance, I will be using the 10-10-10 technique this year. There are areas I might not decandle, bottom left side, to allow it to grow out. The goal is to have a lower pad on that side, I may still decandle and grow the pad out that way but not too sure at this point. If anyone has opinions on this, I'd love to hear it.

Before anyone suggests it, my original plan was to bend the right side down and have that be the lower branch. After inspection I found that it is too stiff due to some deadwood in that area; I am too nervous to do a heavy bend near dead areas.

There is going to be a lot of grafting happening next spring as well...

Back
Top Bottom