Let’s Have Some Fun! First Annual Box Store Challenge – Who’s In?

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I found some Procumbens Nanas, but a few of them had some kind of pest or fungal infection so I passed on them. They had some thick (2+ inch) trunks too! :mad:

I did come across a neat little cotoneaster I could use if the rules can be bent so that anyone not finding junipers can substitute something else. Otherwise I'm going to drive about an hour to get to another nursery.

I was also unable to find any usable junipers. No Procumbens, parsons. Only "sea of gold" and "old gold". I did find a taxus that was usable.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was also unable to find any usable junipers. No Procumbens, parsons. Only "sea of gold" and "old gold". I did find a taxus that was usable.

I have seen Old Gold styled into bonsai but I've not heard of Sea of Gold.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I called around...verse driving. Since they all are in far driving distance. (Which is from living where I live. Something totally normal and not unusual to get anything) garden nurseries don't have anything that small. But, a Lowes said they had a few. So...I will go have a look see either tomorrow...or Tuesday. See what they are about. Under $10 is the price they quoted me.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I called around...verse driving. Since they all are in far driving distance. (Which is from living where I live. Something totally normal and not unusual to get anything) garden nurseries don't have anything that small. But, a Lowes said they had a few. So...I will go have a look see either tomorrow...or Tuesday. See what they are about. Under $10 is the price they quoted me.

That's the same price around here as well. I really hope you can find something that will work. We need your participation and insight!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's the same price around here as well. I really hope you can find something that will work. We need your participation and insight!

Well...not sure about insight. But I am finding the idea a fun challenge. :eek: Since I've never wired anything...all my material is not ready for that stage. It should be quite interesting. Clip and grow seems to be what I have right now. Though... my Shohin bonsai could be wired I guess. I still have no set direction. Leaving it grow out as I have... I have seen a couple of ways to go with it that wasn't seen prior. I wish to repot it come spring. So it sits better in the pot and to see what is under that substrate.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ouch! I take it your not going to participate? :rolleyes: Any buds on that azalea yet?

No buds, but it is still green under the bark.
I´m gonna play the juniper game... but cheapest around is almost 20 bucks.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not sure if I'm in or out, BUT

does it matter to this contest whether the tree lives or dies?

I am inferring that it just needs to hang on for a 'finished' photograph and then it can go on the compost pile - right?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I am inferring that it just needs to hang on for a 'finished' photograph and then it can go on the compost pile - right?

I don't want mine to die but yes, after the final photos if it croaks no harm no foul.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This is funny stuff... are you planning to have children?

Reaction score
If killing the tree is Ok... What about gluing on "cut-off foliage"
to other areas that need it ???
:)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How bout an aftercare contest, along with the spring edition.

See who trees are still alive in spring. They really should live!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Such a great idea. But, I dont kbow if someone brought this up or not but a winner couldnt be chosen until we know the tree will survive though, right? Like maybe have to post the tree two months later to show if it has survived, etc. This seems more fair because contestants may, knowingly, do too much to the tree and kill it to win while others may play fair and not do too much. Just my two cents, however either way it is a great idea.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Such a great idea. But, I dont kbow if someone brought this up or not but a winner couldnt be chosen until we know the tree will survive though, right? Like maybe have to post the tree two months later to show if it has survived, etc. This seems more fair because contestants may, knowingly, do too much to the tree and kill it to win while others may play fair and not do too much. Just my two cents, however either way it is a great idea.

It has been brought up. The intent with the challenge is to have fun and for participants (especially beginners and intermediates) to learn some styling techniques using non-bonsai nursery stock. In the end, the winner is only going to walk away with bragging rights. However, I'm sure participants will "brag" some more if in a few months their project is still alive. No question, it's not going to be easy on the material hence the dollar limit requirement. I hope that answers your question and look forward to your entry. Thanks!

Top Bottom