Look here and Critique Please...

I like the composition very much. Maybe you should focus on the stones, which I adore. Open them up a little bit, let more light in. The pot, as suggested, should be changed yes. Try to find something to compliment the rock composition, something very shallow, almost a tray.
Regardind the trees. You should wire them, but I think that will not save your problem with sticks in a pot completly. What makes a tree become more real and miniature are the details. Focus on the nebari, try to develop it somehow. Next thing is the tapering. Since these are such small sticks it's very hard to achieve that.
Anyway, as I said I like it and I would be proud if I would make something like that.

Congratulations on getting on the show!

A new Bonsai Landscape is underway....I call it "Foothills of the Huangshan"...
Tray/Pot is 24" x 16" x 2 1/2".
The Landscape is a Work in Process started 6 months ago and will be finished next Spring late...
So far it is 5 Shimpaku Juniper and 3 Mugo Pine, Misc Chinese Ying Rock, Misc ground cover...
The sticks you see are where my next Trees will go..
I know it looks too busy or crowded right now but eventual Pruning will open it up and add definition...
The Bonsai Landscape I presented earlier in the year and are pictured in the above post's was in a local Bonsai show
recently and I took 8th place out of 90 Bonsai Presentations, I was very proud of that...

Please feel free to Critique, Advise, comment on the Bonsai landscape...
Chuck

20951963988_5c98eed3ba_z.jpg

20517191444_4ae68a955a_z.jpg

20953085129_6e393848bb_z.jpg

21113641916_c6cf4bb64b_z.jpg

Hi Vin! What kind of trees are those in attachment 80382? Bald cypress, maybe? Thanks from Italy.
Daniele

A new Bonsai Landscape is underway....I call it "Foothills of the Huangshan"...
Tray/Pot is 24" x 16" x 2 1/2".
The Landscape is a Work in Process started 6 months ago and will be finished next Spring late...
So far it is 5 Shimpaku Juniper and 3 Mugo Pine, Misc Chinese Ying Rock, Misc ground cover...
The sticks you see are where my next Trees will go..
I know it looks too busy or crowded right now but eventual Pruning will open it up and add definition...
The Bonsai Landscape I presented earlier in the year and are pictured in the above post's was in a local Bonsai show
recently and I took 8th place out of 90 Bonsai Presentations, I was very proud of that...
Please feel free to Critique, Advise, comment on the Bonsai landscape...
Chuck
How do you repot something this huge and complex? You wire it together under the soil? Glue? Ducktape?

Near view vs distant view... @Vin

Sorry, but I have to disagree about the pics you posted...or ar least how they were categorized. Both are near view....not because of the placement of the trees but becuase of the size and apparent detail visible... Distant view forests hide the details of individual trees and provide more of a view of the forest's canopy silhouette.

How do you repot something this huge and complex? You wire it together under the soil? Glue? Ducktape?

After proper training all the roots form one mass so it can be moved singularly.

Sorce

Hello all, Updates...My first Bonsai Landscape shown here in the Green Ceramic 18" pot... I entered it in a late August local show being judged by the visiting public, it came in 9th out of 100 various Bonsai showings, I was very pleased.
Several local Master Bonsai Gardeners commented on how well it was done.
My new Bonsai Landscape in the Brown 24" pot is now in the garage for the Winter months and remains incomplete, I have several pictures of some Mountain Outcropings (think foothills) and they provide my Perspective.
I'm not sure about Near View or Far View but trying to place low growing Shimpaku Junipers & Shrubs in front and sides with larger, taller Shimpaku Juniper in the rear, I also have 3 Mugo's on one side but think I may remove them.....
Thanks for viewing and comment.

PS My first landscape is in it 3rd full year and the growth is amazing, requiring some serious and severe pruning to keep it as a Bonsai Landscape.

Bolero said: Daniele, are you the same Daniele posting on the Fedora Lounge ???
No, it's not me, sorry!
Vin said:Hello Daniele! Yes, they are Bald Cypress and some damn nice examples as well.
I agree with you, they are really nice! This species seem to be quite popular in U.S.A.
I'm growing one from seed (only 3 years old).

This is the first time I have seen this post...

So, sorry I am a little late in the game... but, none of this near and far view stuff makes any sense.

I understand the concept of it, but this is like some made up stuff if I ever heard of it!

Perspective does not work this way... everything in life will always be smaller the further away it is from the point of observation. This is just scientific reality, unless one is trying to argue the theory of relativity. .. in which one object can co-exist I'm two different points in time?

Seeing that I don't believe this to be the case...

Trees as they go further back should always decrease in size if the point of the planting is to show "perspective". If not, then sure... put a larger tree in back.

This, however will not show "perspective", this will only show as in the second pic Vin has posted a larger tree in back. Nothing wrong with this type of planting... often smaller trees will co-exist with a larger one... but in the case of Vin's pic, will not show "perspective", and in fact the trees will pretty much exist in the same plane.

Now, to argue the near and far views...in Brian's examples... the views are in fact the same... only difference is there are trees in the foreground. Which help to give depth.

If one wants trees to appear as if they are on a hill... then put them on a hill and make the trees smaller... it will never appear as if the trees are on a hill, otherwise... it will instead perhaps, if one is lucky, resemble a forest, with some small trees in front... and if one is un-lucky a bad composition.

Typically you don't repot...you can refresh the soil/muck from the top side ( this is what I do with most of my rock plantings) or disassemble the entire planting and start over. I have a couple rock plantings that are nearing 20 years of age...no repotting...occasionally(twice in 20 years) I will scrape all the moss and a layer of the muck off...then replace with fresh muck and new moss.

Typically you don't repot...you can refresh the soil/muck from the top side ( this is what I do with most of my rock plantings) or disassemble the entire planting and start over. I have a couple rock plantings that are nearing 20 years of age...no repotting...occasionally(twice in 20 years) I will scrape all the moss and a layer of the muck off...then replace with fresh muck and new moss.
So you have to water carefully? All my plants in muddy / non-draining soil are doing bad or dead :(

So you have to water carefully? All my plants in muddy / non-draining soil are doing bad or dead :(
the problem with muck is keeping it wet....so, yes in a sense you have to water carefully....nothing muddy about it

the problem with muck is keeping it wet....so, yes in a sense you have to water carefully....nothing muddy about it
Oh, i thought it was also a muddy substance.

Bolero with your interest in this style of artistic design perhaps you should study Saikei. It seems to be very close to your visions.

Keep it up your doing great.

On near vs far view forest;

The assumption is the biggest, most mature trees are in the "center" of the forest. Younger, shorter trees would spread away from the mother tree.

So, when we make bonsai, and we attempt to depict the "whole forest", we are making a "far view" forest. In that case the biggest tree should be in the "middle" of the planting. And smaller trees surround it, including more in the foreground. If you are trying to depict a very large forest, so big that you can't discern the full immensity of it, place the bigger trees in the rear of the planting. Still, both of these are far view. It's as if you are viewing the forest from a long way away.

A "near view" forest puts the viewer IN the forest, looking at the mother tree. In this case, the largest tree(s) are placed nearer the front of the planting. With the smaller trees behind and to the sides. No smaller trees significantly in front of the mother tree. As if you were standing at (or near) the foot of the mother tree.

Of course when I say "center" or "middle" I don't mean the absolute middle, as we all know the main tree needs to be offset to one side or the other.

The bald cypress planting in the prior post is a near view forest. I definately feel as if I'm IN the swamp looking at the trees rather than looking at them from afar.

I absolutley love saikei. Can you please post updated pics?
Congrats on your good ranking in the exhibiton!

Back
Top Bottom