Loropetulam

Anyone have any luck with a loropetulam?
I grow several loropetalum. It is easy to grow in our zone 9 weather, it withstands the summer heat well and can be overwintered outdoors with lots of blooms. One thing to be careful is die back of large cut wound.

I posted a thread last February on loropetalum for bonsai, and there were a lot of replies with good advises and discussions. You might want to search that thread and see replies specific to growing in Florida.

I grow several loropetalum. It is easy to grow in our zone 9 weather, it withstands the summer heat well and can be overwintered outdoors with lots of blooms.

I was just given a couple of loropetalums in 5 gal pots by my neighbor who has a landscaping biz. Left over from a job. They were in rough shape, dried up a bit, had been tossed around with broken and dead branches, lots of dead leaves or ones with holes in them. I cut all the dead stuff off, did some pruning for very basic shape, watered well and started fertilizing, and within one week they were back budding everywhere, even on the trunk, and pushing new smaller leaves and now it looks like they are about to bloom.

I live in the Florida panhandle and keep them in bright sun for the morn/afternoon and dappled for a few hours late in the day. I'm hoping to learn more about these until spring and maybe try to get them into bonsai pots.

Any advice for potting/root pruning specific to our zone?

Back
Top Bottom