Lucky dougy

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the poor pics just passing time in an airport looking a some pics on my phone. This tree was lucky for both myself and the tree. I was out looking for trilobites, not even yamadori hunting when I came across this large and nice Doug Fir dangling by a few taproots on the edge of a small cliff. It had been pulled from the ground by snow creep during the winter. I came across it just in time to rescue it and its now going into year 2 in my backyard and seems to be doing well. There is more trunk to be exposed later giving more movement and taper. Could become a nice bonsai some day, lucky eh?
Mpimage.jpgimage.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Third growing season post collection and looking reasonably healthy for a tree that attempted suicide. Ready for a repot next year. I'm looking forward to seeing what I've got for roots in there and looking forward to lightening up the box, its 90% granite grit in there, kinda heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_20140808_211155636.jpg
    IMG_20140808_211155636.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20140727_085623.jpg
    IMG_20140727_085623.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Luck seems to be over suicide watch. What's your next soil choice going to be for the tree?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably pumice about 60%, scoria 20%, and chunks of decayed wood (red rot) about 10% the remainder dashes of charcoal and granite grit. All in the range of 1/8-1/2 inch layered according to size. The majority around 3/8".

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might start going a bit heavier on the redrot chunks in the future, roots seem to love it and really divide as they grow though it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotted this tree last spring (2015)
It seems that luck very nearly ran out!
It grew very small needles in 2015, this spring it was a good month behind my other dougies before flushing, I was getting pretty worried. It did flush out eventually just slightly stronger than 2015. You can see needle length in these pics, before the repot and the next two years. image.jpgimage.jpg
Hopefully she picks up the pace again next year, can't do anything to a tree in this condition!
In hindsight I probably did the repot too soon, it was growing strongly and development could have progressed further if I had just left it for a while. Reduced the box size by half though. Still hoping for bonsai from this but it won't be anytime soon. image.jpg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I REALLY like the movement in this tree.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Repotted this tree last spring (2015)
It seems that luck very nearly ran out!
It grew very small needles in 2015, this spring it was a good month behind my other dougies before flushing, I was getting pretty worried. It did flush out eventually just slightly stronger than 2015. You can see needle length in these pics, before the repot and the next two years. View attachment 112959View attachment 112960
Hopefully she picks up the pace again next year, can't do anything to a tree in this condition!
In hindsight I probably did the repot too soon, it was growing strongly and development could have progressed further if I had just left it for a while. Reduced the box size by half though. Still hoping for bonsai from this but it won't be anytime soon. View attachment 112962

I don't know... The needles are smaller, but denser, a quality you'll certainly appreciate later on. Couldn't it just be a result of the more confined growing space? It still looks very healthy. Definitely a lucky find!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know... The needles are smaller, but denser, a quality you'll certainly appreciate later on. Couldn't it just be a result of the more confined growing space? It still looks very healthy. Definitely a lucky find!

I doubt it, still a big box. I expect needle size to be back up again next year assuming the tree continues to stay healthy. We'll see.
Found a couple pics from the repot, part way through root cleaning looks like. image.jpg I reduced the taproot as far as possible at the time, pretty cool how the original cut had calloused right over in three years. image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since It seems I'm updating firs today...

This one again sulked through spring, again a solid month behind the others to flush out. Cheered right up over summer though, looks great now. Finally I can start doing something, I won't hit it hard next year just take off some of what I will not use and start chasing growth inwards then we'll see..image.jpgimage.jpg

Top Bottom