Maiden's Mikawa Yatsubusa Seedling

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mikawa Yatsubusa seedling from MrMaple arrived today. This are very rare, I think I have seen them advertised three times since I started doing bonsai 4 years ago. According to MrMaple, they display different spring colors than the grafted ones they sell. Below is the description from their website.

This is a unique offering of chance seedlings from Mikawa yatsubusa. This is not a grafted selection. All these Mikawa yatsubusa seedlings have very similar leaves and a tight dense growth habit that are quite dwarf overall. All Mikawa yatsubusa seedlings are green right now, however some may leaf out as orange, pink, bronze, or red in the spring. This variation happens across the seedlings, however we have no way of knowing which seedlings have this spring color. These seedlings from Mikawa yatsubsa are extremely beautiful and should give you a great fall color that I would expect to be orange to red.​

I expect these seedlings to be very hardy handling sun in most situations in Zones 5-8, needing only slight protection from the hot afternoon sun in Zone 9. These miniature and compact seedlings are great for fairy gardens, conifer troughs, miniature railroad gardens, patio containers, bonsai, and small spaces in the garden. This is one plant you will grow to love more and more in your garden.​

Last night I brought down my shade cloth, as we officially entered "fall" in central Texas and the location where I have my JMs get shaded by the house from around 11 am to 5 pm . I'm going to build an area this winter just for trees that need protection from the sun during summer with a removable shade cloth.

1697413977789.jpeg

1697413995171.jpeg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mikawa Yatsubusa seedling from MrMaple arrived today. This are very rare, I think I have seen them advertised three times since I started doing bonsai 4 years ago. According to MrMaple, they display different spring colors than the grafted ones they sell. Below is the description from their website.

Last night I brought down my shade cloth, as we officially entered "fall" in central Texas and the location where I have my JMs get shaded by the house from around 11 am to 5 pm . I'm going to build an area this winter just for trees that need protection from the sun during summer with a removable shade cloth.

1697413977789.jpeg

1697413995171.jpeg
Nice! Will be cool to see the fall color.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amidst the chaos of moving I didn't get to take too make pictures of the tree... here is the last few fall leaves before I took them off. This thing has so many buds it rivals my kotohime...

koto.JPG

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a lot going on with this one, the few branches elongated a little and it is leafing out. Plenty of buds along the trunk and branches.

1710705527810.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update on the seedling, not sure what happened but the area inside the yellow rectangle below has turned dark gray. It was thriving after the repot, and while I did clean most of the root ball I made sure I left plenty of roots give it is a seedling from a cultivar thinking it would be weaker than a regular JM. Could it be overwatering? I water all the trees every other day as I noticed some of the other trees starting to droop when left 2 days without water. I never had any issues with overwatering as the substrate I use is completely free flowing and I don't use any organic fertilizer to clog it up. I will post an actual pic later today, it was too dark last night when I was watering them.

If the dead portion is enclosed to that area, would it be wise or ok to cut the tree to a few internodes above the soil level? Or just leave it be and cut back later? I moved the trees around over the weekend and noticed a few trees that didn't make it from the winter, they did start pushing growth but ran out of steam and dried out.

1715089272246.png

Top Bottom