Mame JBP - prune or wire?

Fun little tree!

We don't like 'eye-pokers' which, I guess, is what you are talking about. Would you post pix viewing a bit to the left and a bit to the right of this (^) view? I expect these might make it easier for me to have all your fun. ;)

Good enough, but there is already a branch in that space
Sketch (3).png

Maybe it can be shifted to the back?

Anyway, I suggest trying that before you cut anything.

Geez... I don’t see any “eye pokers” there. Working with Shohin pines, the final result is going to be a pretty dense set of needles. Where you won’t see much of the actual branch.

Oh, it needs a good wiring, but I wouldn’t be concerned about a frontal branch.

It looks like the low left branch goes straight out to the left. It should come more forward. And the low right needs to be directed more towards the right, and not so much forward.

Next time you repot, work on getting the roots into a shallower rectangle. Something like this:

6EBE252A-9DAE-47D0-B02A-BB4DFECA267C.jpeg

If you can, lower all your branches! Especially the lowest left branch. It’s really important to keep Shohin JBP branches low.

Why?

When shown, JBP are placed on the top of the Shohin box stand. Which elevates them to be above most people’s eye level, considering that the box stand is sitting on a table. So, that means that people will be looking up at the tree. You don’t want them seeing the underside of the branches, which is what they would see if the branches aren’t trained to go down! Pulling the branches down makes the tree look “normal” from that viewpoint.

If you can, lower all your branches! Especially the lowers left branch. It’s really important to keep Shohin JBP branches low.

@Adair M thanks for the tips, I will try to lower them. As it is a mame, pretty small, I hope I don't snap any branch.
Yes, a rectangular pot will be better, I agree.
Thanks!

@Adair M thanks for the tips, I will try to lower them. As it is a mame, pretty small, I hope I don't snap any branch.
Yes, a rectangular pot will be better, I agree.
Thanks!
The key to not snapping branches is to have the tree wired properly. I suggest you watch Colin Lewis’s wiring tutorial on www.craftsy.com.

Proper wiring allows you to bend branches into place, and they stay where you put them. You don’t have to “overbend”, and hope they move to your desired position as they relax back towards their original position.

Small pines like that are a challenge to wire! After watching Colin’s tutorial, I suggest you practice on some easier trees first. Then come back to your JBP. That’s a nice tree and you would not want to mess it up making beginner mistakes

This is a pretty stout looking tree! It almost looks like the base of the trunk was twisted up like a cork screw at one point when it was real young.

Last edited:
When I think I will be bending a branch close to its breaking point I will where possible use a guy wire and bring the branch down in stages, over perhaps a month or so . I have never broken a branch doing this

Brought the left branch down, and the straight front branch to the right and down also.
I think it shows the trunk better now, but the top seems too high...C2258FBB-E49E-4C58-9FEB-E735DC89F38F.jpeg

I hesitated to answer last time because it was not all that clear to me. Now i see the trunkline better i would remove that front branch. I have the feeling the strong right direction of the apex is off and should be directed to the left. I think you have a few options to lower the apex.

when it's the right time of year this tree would do wonders from some needle plucking and shoot selection to open things up and get a littler more refined. It's a very nice little tree

Now i see the trunkline better i would remove that front branch.

That's my feeling from the beginning. It adds nothing to the design of the tree, and now it is covering the right branch.

I have the feeling the strong right direction of the apex is off and should be directed to the left.

Exact.
It's been growing like crazy even being an old tree. Brazilian summer, I guess...

A little update on this little JBP.
It was repotted in the spring last year, decandled in midsummer, but it wasn't a very happy season as it got somehow weak towards the winter.
It was unwired midwinter, and now there are a lot of new buds showing up.
I am unsure if I just let all of them to grow up, or if I choose pairs and get rid of the dozens of other buds; my main concern is the tree's health at the moment.
As @Adair M was very helpful about this JBP in the past and he has a small one almost the same size, perhaps he could suggest the better way to deal with it?
Remembering we are in the very beginning of the Spring down here.

JBP as today.
20200920_111128.jpg

New buds.
20200920_131454.jpg

Back
Top Bottom