Me VS. Buckthorn

3 yrs later. 🤨 Slow going. Someday I’ll get to the point of trying to ramify branches.IMG_9880.jpeg

Finding buckthorn is easy,
It’s everywhere!
However, as I strolled along the walking path in the nature reserve, I noticed that in order to find any bases thick or interesting enough worth Collecting, you need to be looking for big trees.
When I started looking 20 or more feet up for the foliage, I did find some contenders.

Here’s one I plan to come back for next spring in the size (about 6 inches diameter)I’m looking for.

I’ve also noticed that they tend to like wet areas. Now I know they can thrive in most anything, but I’m finding the densest Groves of them are along the swamp and water shed areas.IMG_9899.jpeg

This one is in a very accessible spot, and actually has a nice bark. We will see.

I'll be following your progress on this. I think your doing an excellent job! I'm interested at how small the leaves can get.

My property is filed with these bastards. Here's one I found this morning that I'm going to collect this weekend:

IMG_20240308_090107.jpg

I'll be following your progress on this. I think your doing an excellent job! I'm interested at how small the leaves can get.

My property is filed with these bastards. Here's one I found this morning that I'm going to collect this weekend:

View attachment 532501
Nice! Great bark and movement on that one! And you have shoots down low to chop to already. 👍 Keep me updated!

View attachment 532501
I had no idea how far south Bellevue was!

You’re warmer than we are here in the Twin Cities.
I’m going out to see if the ground is soft enough to dig up 1 or 2 I flagged earlier.

Well…I got me another buckthorn. 🤣

IMG_0570.jpegSeems pretty manageable right?
Chopped before digging. Counting 22 rings IMG_0571.jpeg

I just purchased a Root slayer shovel and oh was it nice to have!
IMG_0573.jpegIMG_0575.jpeg
Bagged this up in about 30 mins.

Brought this heavy bastard home and raked out the roots.

IMG_0577.jpegIMG_0578.jpegWhen digging, always remember to chop roots no longer than you will be able to accommodate for. Also remember, looks can be deceiving. This tree is bigger than I thought.

I had to chop back the big roots quite a bit more before fitting it into the biggest container I had available. IMG_0580.jpegWe will see if I can get something to pop near the chop site. I fear it may put all energy into the one low shoot and abandon the main trunk. 🤔

Last edited:
haha I've got mine soaking in a bucket right now!

Yes people here Canada and the think cold, but I'm in a bit of a micro climate.

That looks like a mighty fine tree.

What are you using for your soil mix? I hear they like to be wet, I'm thinking of going with a good draining organic mix.

haha I've got mine soaking in a bucket right now!

Yes people here Canada and the think cold, but I'm in a bit of a micro climate.

That looks like a mighty fine tree.

What are you using for your soil mix? I hear they like to be wet, I'm thinking of going with a good draining organic mix.
I used everything I had on hand. It is a Half bag of succulent mix, about 2 gallons of calciined clay, and 2 gallons of pumice., + some wood chips.
Yes, I think they like to be a little wetter.
This one was growing in mostly sand soil.

Well…I got me another buckthorn. 🤣

View attachment 532572Seems pretty manageable right?
Chopped before digging. Counting 22 rings View attachment 532571

I just purchased a Root slayer shovel and oh was it nice to have!
View attachment 532569View attachment 532568
Bagged this up in about 30 mins.

Brought this heavy bastard home and raked out the roots.

View attachment 532567View attachment 532566When digging, always remember to chop roots no longer than you will be able to accommodate for. Also remember, looks can be deceiving. This tree is bigger than I thought.

I had to chop back the big roots quite a bit more before fitting it into the biggest container I had available. View attachment 532565We will see if I can get something to pop near the chop site. I fear it may put all energy into the one low shoot and abandon the main trunk. 🤔

Oh yeah! Nice!

This one seems very happy. Just Took out some unusable shoots.

In a week or so, I’ll trim back to 2 leaf pairs on strong shoots IMG_1062.jpegEven though I like it, I brushed off some moss from the trunk.IMG_1064.jpeg
Eventually I’ll cut back as shown below, using purple arrow branch as the new leader.
IMG_1064.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom