Meehans Miniatures

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Has anyone bought anything from them? Seems like they are very reasonably priced, just wasn't sure what the quality would be like, at such prices.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a small hinoki cypress I bought from them a couple of years ago and a willow leaf ficus I got from them through my club.

They are a good vendor with good starter stock. Just understand you are mostly going to get young, undeveloped stock at the prices you're seeing on their Web page.

What they are calling "finished bonsai" are really mostly young starter material.
The section called the "Tree gallery" is where the true "finished bonsai" are and those prices reflect it.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a small hinoki cypress I bought from them a couple of years ago and a willow leaf ficus I got from them through my club.

They are a good vendor with good starter stock. Just understand you are mostly going to get young, undeveloped stock at the prices you're seeing on their Web page.

What they are calling "finished bonsai" are really mostly young starter material.
The section called the "Tree gallery" is where the true "finished bonsai" are and those prices reflect it.
Thanks for the info. I figured at those prices, they would probably be small. Was looking at a little serissa. Figured for the price, I wouldn't be heartbroken, if I killed it. Problem will probably be shipping cost from Maryland. Same thing with Wigerts. The shipping was actually more that the tree I was interested in. Hazards of living in IL :(.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you put "meehan" in the search, you'll find a bunch of previous discussions about them.

I've purchased from them both by mail and in person (at a Mid Atlantic Symposium) and was very satisfied with all purchases. They were very willing to send pictures of stock and answer questions by phone. I thought their prices were very reasonable for what I was getting.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you put "meehan" in the search, you'll find a bunch of previous discussions about them.

I've purchased from them both by mail and in person (at a Mid Atlantic Symposium) and was very satisfied with all purchases. They were very willing to send pictures of stock and answer questions by phone. I thought their prices were very reasonable for what I was getting.
Thanks, also good to know. I was just a little wary, because there prices are much more reasonable than some bonsai nurseries. I'm fine if the trees are on the small side. Two thumbs up, guess I'll be getting that little serissa, and maybe a ficus to make me feel better if the serissa bites the dust :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I go up there all the time. Martha and I are good pals. Their prices are super fair. Their website reflects 1/300th of what they've actually got. Awesome material source.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good value for the money, if you're looking for small stock. I wish I lived closer so I could see their entire selection.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
they are very good...if i lived closer I'd go there for every tree I wanted..also, they are very helpful and nice people. When I lived in Maryland I bought a lot of stuff from them and haven't been disappointed

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a shimpaku juniper from there. Just email them with what you're looking for and what price range and she gets back to you with pictures.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's a couple shots of their "small" stock:

That is not what I was referring to when I said "small stock".... the stuff you pictured would probably be under the "Tree Gallery" section selling for $1000+ and not selling for $24.95 in the "finished bonsai" section or other parts of the web page that the OP is referring to.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That is not what I was referring to when I said "small stock".... the stuff you pictured would probably be under the "Tree Gallery" section selling for $1000+ and not selling for $24.95 in the "finished bonsai" section or other parts of the web page that the OP is referring to.

Nooo. That Ginkgo was under $1,000. Those others weren't anywhere near that either. Like I said, don't buy from their page. Go to their actual nursery. Their prices are super fair.

Their "finished bonsai" are trees they typically sell to nurseries. They've been styled, wired, and potted. They'll be somewhat small, yes, but that's what you're paying for at that price.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your replies. Looks like I will absolutely be buying there. I SO wish I lived close enough to actually go there, I feel very honored that such experienced people took the time to help me out. Today is a bit tough for me 6th anniversary of my daughters death. So perhaps a bit emotional. But there is such a good spirit here, experts willing to help the ignorant:). So glad I joined. @Redwood Ryan, I would like to get a nice ficus. I have had a crappy Walmart one for a couple years, and would like to get something nicer, seeing what you have done with ficus, Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry to hear about your daughter, that's rough :(

I'll mention to Martha that you'll be contacting them looking for material.

Willow Leaf Ficus is probably your best bet, as they're so tough and make excellent trees. Email the Meehan's with your price range and they should be able to hook you up.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im also sorry to hear about your daughter.
I agree with Ryan that willow leaf is probably the best kind of ficus to get. Mine was about the size of a pencil when I got it 3 years ago, now its trunk is bigger than a quarter.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your daughter, that's rough :(

I'll mention to Martha that you'll be contacting them looking for material.

Willow Leaf Ficus is probably your best bet, as they're so tough and make excellent trees. Email the Meehan's with your price range and they should be able to hook you up.
Thank you, yeah it sucks. Don't go out of your way, just wanted a suggestion. Actually was sort of gravitating towards the willow leaf, they seem sort of delicate looking compared to the crappy one I have. I know that tropicals are sort of frowned on by some here, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew at this point. Thanks!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Im also sorry to hear about your daughter.
I agree with Ryan that willow leaf is probably the best kind of ficus to get. Mine was about the size of a pencil when I got it 2 (3? I forget) years ago, now its trunk is bigger than a quarter.
Thank you very much. Sounds like willow leaf is the way to go. Appreciate the advice. Lord knows I can use all the help I can get:)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I emailed them, but no response yet. I'm sure they are busy, I'll wait a few more days.

Top Bottom