mikawa yatsubusa .... first Japanese maple

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some friends and I went up to the Underhill C'est Bonsai show in Folsum yesterday. About a dozen vendors and demonstrations and workshops by Mike Lane and Guy Guidry made for a fantastic day. I came home with a mikawa hatsubusa maple. This is my first Japanese maple and am looking for a little advice on how to handle it. I plan on taking a couple of air layers of the upper branches. Next spring, I'll reduce the tree down to a little less than half of its present height. Anyone have experience with this variety? I did a bit of reading and one hint I found was reducing the under-leaves in the really dense foliage pads. Is that "a thing"?

yatsa 1.jpg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yes it is, from what I've seen. Big price too! Turning 70 in a few days. My friends and I have come to the conclusion that we don't have time to mess about with cuttings and sticks in pots.
Yeah Mikawa grows super slowly. I have had one in nursery for about 5 years and the trunk is not even an inch...

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've read they grow slowly, but what about leafing back out after a big chop??

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yes it is, from what I've seen. Big price too! Turning 70 in a few days. My friends and I have come to the conclusion that we don't have time to mess about with cuttings and sticks in pots.
Happy birthday 🎉🎁🎊🎂!
Nice gift you got there, too😎

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They are know to be one of the easier ones to air layer and with the amount of internodes I’m pretty sure back budding won’t be an issue

Top Bottom