My juniper is not green anymore

Bigcow

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering what happened to my bonsai, it used to be green and health, but recently it turned like dry and yellow-green(as shown in pictures) the bottom part also have some white dots and insects flying around sometimes. It doesn’t grow new leaf for a while already, is it dead? What should I do to fix it.

Attachments

• 8A16F18A-2960-4849-BB92-6FAFAD95D63E.jpeg
    8A16F18A-2960-4849-BB92-6FAFAD95D63E.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 46AE21A8-027F-4151-B536-249D04419DF1.jpeg
    46AE21A8-027F-4151-B536-249D04419DF1.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 4B4D91BE-FED4-4CED-A688-06575C178B99.jpeg
    4B4D91BE-FED4-4CED-A688-06575C178B99.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 87
well what zone are u in? typically the plant will yellow at the needles close the the main stock due to it sheads them periodically. white bugs flying around sound like white fly just cut back on the wattering but not bone dry as well. they thrive on wet enviroments. they are typically harmless. need to wait till spring comes rolling around thats when you will notice growth coming. make sure all wire is off when u start seeing new growth start to appear!!! other than that just need to be patient.

hope this helps is the same answer i would give to a customer at lowes!!! have fun and enjoy
paul

If you handle the foliage, does it crumble and drop off? If so, it’s dead and you can go ahead and take it out of the pot and trash it. Keep the pot and try again. It looks bone-dry, and inside? These junipers need to be outside and watered regularly for any chance of survival.

well what zone are u in? typically the plant will yellow at the needles close the the main stock due to it sheads them periodically. white bugs flying around sound like white fly just cut back on the wattering but not bone dry as well. they thrive on wet enviroments. they are typically harmless. need to wait till spring comes rolling around thats when you will notice growth coming. make sure all wire is off when u start seeing new growth start to appear!!! other than that just need to be patient.

hope this helps is the same answer i would give to a customer at lowes!!! have fun and enjoy
paul
Thanks Paul, I noticed in the shops there are a lot of the bigger bonsai are getting yellow and dried out, similar to my situation, and they are on discount at the moment, I m not sure it is because the season change or what, this is the first year we are having our bonsai. Hopefully it will grow back. Thanks again.

If you handle the foliage, does it crumble and drop off? If so, it’s dead and you can go ahead and take it out of the pot and trash it. Keep the pot and try again. It looks bone-dry, and inside? These junipers need to be outside and watered regularly for any chance of survival.
The foliage is not dropping off, but the bottom moss part is currently looks wet inside, it used to be dry after a few days before then when the moss dry so we normally water it, but nowadays the moss part always looks like wet inside so we didn’t water it for awhile already, myvwife scared to over watering it. And we normally keep indoor, should I just keep it outside under the shade in autumn season?

The foliage is not dropping off, but the bottom moss part is currently looks wet inside, it used to be dry after a few days before then when the moss dry so we normally water it, but nowadays the moss part always looks like wet inside so we didn’t water it for awhile already, myvwife scared to over watering it. And we normally keep indoor, should I just keep it outside under the shade in autumn season?
Without knowing where in the world you are, it’s hard to answer that question, but junipers are hardy outdoors nearly everywhere, and will perish inside after a few months almost anywhere.

paul
I m in Sydney, now is turning autumn, should I keep it outside?

Without knowing where in the world you are, it’s hard to answer that question, but junipers are hardy outdoors nearly everywhere, and will perish inside after a few months almost anywhere.
I m in Sydney, so you mean Its better keep it outdoor right. The first 4 months was very health, after we came back from holiday it starts turn dry and yellow, my cousin took it outside in summer for a week and it gets all dried up on the tips of the leaf

How often did you water this tree?

the bottom part also have some white dots and insects flying around sometimes
XXX
the moss part always looks like wet inside so we didn’t water it for awhile already, And
XXX

we normally keep indoor,
XXX

What should I do to fix it?
Get that moss out. Spray for the insects. I would start with Safe Soap. It is not soap, it is insecticidal soap
and not harsh. It will temporarily discolour the foliage, but also, get at the soil where the moss was...

my cousin took it outside in summer for a week and it gets all dried up on the tips of the leaf
X Dis he put it in Sunshine? As my trees come out of dormancy, I gradually increase the amount of Sun they get.
1st they start out in a shady area, then a few at a time I start bringing them around to the sunnier side of the house.

Back to @Vance Wood s inquiry of watering, that's the number one issue folks new to bonsai get wrong.
The 2nd is keeping them indoors I think.

Does your soil/moss stink? I see black.
Lift the moss-pitch it out! and dig about the soil there close to the trunk perhaps a standard flat screwdriver
and describe the roots at the surface and up to an inch or more deep further out from the trunk.
Even if it dies from this, you're gaining 1st handed experience a couple of many things that can go wrong :)

Being on holiday is a worrisome time for me. I hate what happens, and that I'm not allowed to give directions
(in laws)!!! :mad:

Still don't get why people don't research how to care for a plant on day one instead of waiting till they kill it to seek out help.
I kind of can. People see "pretty little trees" in indoor displays and/or in stores and think "I want that". Then when going to buy one, get told things like "sure, you can keep it indoors" by someone who has no idea what they are talking about and/or is willing to say anything to make the sale (sadly even from some seemingly "reputable" sources). Try doing a google search for "indoor Bonsai tree" and the majority of what comes up are junipers. -sigh-

No offence meant to the OP, but ignorance plus willful deception is a really bad combination and all too prevalent.

I kind of can. People see "pretty little trees" in indoor displays and/or in stores and think "I want that". Then when going to buy one, get told things like "sure, you can keep it indoors" by someone who has no idea what they are talking about and/or is willing to say anything to make the sale (sadly even from some seemingly "reputable" sources). Try doing a google search for "indoor Bonsai tree" and the majority of what comes up are junipers. -sigh-

No offence meant to the OP, but ignorance plus willful deception is a really bad combination and all too prevalent.
Ohh, I get that, but still if they expect it to just be an object to dust around in the house, just get a fake one.

Yes. However, it may only expedite the inevitable improvement or decline in health.
Indeed.....I think you're riding this line right now.....
Bad place to be, in your area.
Its hard to say whats best at this point.

I've seen others with this exact issue in the past, and some people tell them to just keep it indoors all winter and try your best to keep it alive. With that said it is supposed to be outside, and if you frequently get below freezing, there may be no hope.

Back
Top Bottom