My Most Recent Bonsai-related Purchase

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Authentic Japanese Steel Bonsai Scissors/pruners. The weight, smoothness, ease of handling and pruning make for a great investment.

My goal is to accumulate a complete set of the highest quality tools one at a time. Next to purchase is branch cutters and some aluminum wire before winter arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_8135.jpeg
    IMG_8135.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    IMG_8136.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8137.jpeg
    IMG_8137.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 51

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
they look very nice! make sure to get some maintenance equipment--whetstone, rust/sap eraser, oil of your choice--along the way.

My teacher told me to buy tools as I needed them, which has mostly proved useful. But I've got shears in three different sizes/uses and that's been really wonderful.

...and I also didn't really follow her advice as I chased a few "deals", especially while visiting Japan.

one tool that is very often slept on is proper bonsai wire cutters. lots of folks will tell you to use any old wire cutter, but the rounded tips make it so much easier to not damage branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
they look very nice! make sure to get some maintenance equipment--whetstone, rust/sap eraser, oil of your choice--along the way.

My teacher told me to buy tools as I needed them, which has mostly proved useful. But I've got shears in three different sizes/uses and that's been really wonderful.

...and I also didn't really follow her advice as I chased a few "deals", especially while visiting Japan.

one tool that is very often slept on is proper bonsai wire cutters. lots of folks will tell you to use any old wire cutter, but the rounded tips make it so much easier to not damage branches.
All excellent advice. I plan on German wire cutters from Ryan Neil/Bonsai Mirai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I have never visited Japan, but if I could apprentice there, I would. I bought these scissors from Bonsai-En (Josh Hooson is based in Australia and his shop sells these scissors). They arrived less than 14 days from the shipping label.

Sauce: https://bonsai-en.shop/

I follow Josh, Ryan, Heron, and Bonsai Empire. I have not yet enrolled in any official classes, but I'm making a Juniper Procumbens portfolio from horticulture, seasonal care, development, refinement, etc. Ryan's BSOP series on Spring Fundamentals and other seasonal care has been extremely informative and educational. I like his teaching style; he leaves no stone unturned in the application.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All excellent advice. I plan on German wire cutters from Ryan Neil/Bonsai Mirai.
Save some money and buy this. Even before Ryan started using the Knipex cutters I had this one for welding wire cutting. I have used it to cut 1/8" 304SS since 2011, which is harder than the thickest copper wire you will ever use in bonsai and they are still kicking butt.

If you insist in buying Knipex... nothing wrong with that, I have some as well Amazon has them at 50% off right now.

I would definitely recommend Mirai Live, I joined thinking about doing the free 30 day and just binge watch as many videos as possible before cancelling in 2019, I'm still a member even though I have not participated in any of the streams or forum Q&A's. I think it is well worth the $30 monthly.

As far as Japanese tools, you could use this two sites... buy straight from Japan instead of through a middle man.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the advice and the links. I’m selecting my next tools today. This is invaluable to me.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've had good success with Joshua Roth (fine Japanese company with a western name--branding!)

I've also bought a few Roshi tools from Stone Lantern. I really love that store/publisher, but I will say that you get what you pay for. They have rounded nose wire cutters for sale for $24 right now, which is worth it for a tool that (imo) doesn't need to be top quality.

Definitely agree with Maiden that Knipex is not necessary. I use both cheap "normal" wire cutters for big stuff and those Roshi wire cutters for finer things.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would also be remiss not to mention that there is a Wazakura Bonsai Nut affiliate link that will help support the site: https://www.bonsainut.com/pages/partners/

I only have one Wazakura tool, my tweezers, but I do like it and hear good things about their cutters.
I was attempting to ask you earlier if you shuffle your fert piles around during a 12 month period for even uptake

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, each application, I'll place another ring of baskets in between the existing ones. In fact, it's almost that time for my autumn fertilizing!

... but to be clear, I haven't even had trees for 12 months, much less been fertilizing them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A tankful of gas to go tree planting and hunting.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess they didn't read the entire title... no biggie

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops. Thought it was another thread. They're both similarly titled.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oops. Thought it was another thread. They're both similarly titled.

I was not intending to replicate the ‘question post.’ Correct.

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
I've had good success with Joshua Roth (fine Japanese company with a western name--branding!)

I've also bought a few Roshi tools from Stone Lantern. I really love that store/publisher, but I will say that you get what you pay for. They have rounded nose wire cutters for sale for $24 right now, which is worth it for a tool that (imo) doesn't need to be top quality.

Definitely agree with Maiden that Knipex is not necessary. I use both cheap "normal" wire cutters for big stuff and those Roshi wire cutters for finer things.
Actually, Joshua Roth is an American company that sources Japanese made tools and supplies.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got this pair off some Amazon seller.

Attachments

• 2023-10-11 23.23.48.jpg
    2023-10-11 23.23.48.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Actually, Joshua Roth is an American company that sources Japanese made tools and supplies.
Thanks for correcting that, I was just repeating what I had been told by my teacher. You would certainly know better than me, eh?

Top Bottom