My Red Maple cuttings

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, today I attemped my first layering and took some cuttings at tried them as well! Wish me luck!
image.jpg image.jpg
I used a old terrarium....the screen top was broke. So, why not since I know it will keep it humid!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be a bit too humid for the Sipp.

Specially with this week a t-storms you got coming.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I take them out of the terrarium?

I'd consult a South dwelling maple cutting taker, but one of my collected trees has some fungadung(not a real word) and Its been cool here with 80+ humidity.

Sorce

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You should be fine. You have a very open mix. Nice set-up. Hope you get some to root. Does the enclosure get any direct sun? If so I would make sure to move it somewhere it does not.

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should be fine. You have a very open mix. Nice set-up. Hope you get some to root. Does the enclosure get any direct sun? If so I would make sure to move it somewhere it does not.

No direct sun, it's actually behind a tub full of soil. I moved the tub for the picture. Thank you for the compliment & confidence.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maples are not the easiest subject for cuttings. The smaller ones take better than larger ones in my experience. The red cultivars are probably a little harder than regular greens to root.

The layer is a better solution probably. Try the perlite you seem to be using for the cuttings as the rooting medium for the layer next time- it has given me great results!

Top Bottom