Native US Acer sp.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting some native US Acer sp. to try at for bonsai. I am really wanting to use Sugar Maple Acer saccharum, but I won't turn my nose up at Acer rubrum, or Acer saccharinum either. If anyone has any experience with these, or pointers for collecting/training them, I am all ears.

Thanks
Amur Maple are great for me, just dug 80 last week. Starting over strong this time!image.jpegsome 1 1/4" some 2" probably chop 40 of the thicker ones down to stumps.

Amur Maple are great for me, just dug 80 last week. Starting over strong this time!View attachment 94387some 1 1/4" some 2" probably chop 40 of the thicker ones down to stumps.

I think that's called possession with intent to distribute lol.

Red maple CAN make good bonsai, but it comes with some heavy baggage. As said, long internodes, sometimes huge leaves, ect. This group at the National Arboretum (planted by Vaughn Banting three decades (possibly more) ago).

Norway maple and Sugar maple also have big issues as bonsai. I've not tried either, but the leave size alone makes me want to look for more suitable material.

Amur maple CAN make excellent bonsai--leaves reduce, they're tough winter hardy trees, however, hard pruning can cause severe dieback on trunks and heavier limbs. Second photo is of my amur group taken a while ago. Planted it as seedlings from B. Valavanis about 20 years ago. The species is hard to ramify without having extremely angular branching. They also tend to develop heavy knobs of callus tissue at cut sites that have to be controlled over time by pruning back heavily closer to the trunk to eliminate them.

bantingredmaple.jpg IMG_5352.jpg

http://crataegus.com/tag/anne-spencer/

The late great Anne Spencer developed a really nice one. Here is a link to it. I do think that there are many variations of these trees, so your feelings toward how well they work will depend on what type you get. Seems like the ones from FLA have a better habit for bonsai.

Whatever Dave!;)

Sorce
There is a variety-- Acer rubrum "drumondii," or Drummond's Maple--that has smallish leaves and a tight growth habit. Vaughn Banting's forest is made of this variety. From what I've read, though, it doesn't grow much farther North than Southern Illinois and New Jersey. It is primarily a southern species and apparently isn't as cold hardy as the main species.
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=acrud

Altough I have not had any experience with them, I have seen a few Acer Negundo as Bonsai on the internet. These are pretty hardy from what I have heard and might be worth a look. They are a common landscape tree as well.

Oh, geeze. I forgot to put in my location. I started the profile on here back when I lived in NM but knew I was going to be moving (just wasn't sure where). I live in Southwestern Ohio, currently.

That's interesting that you bring up Norway maples as an invasive species.. My work takes me all over Tate township working in woodlots (I survey tree's for ALB damage), and the only time I ever run into Norway's is when they are in someone's yard, even then it doesn't happen too often. They are pretty tree's though.

So, according to the second link provided by parhamr, I'm going to be looking at a large bonsai (since I'm mostly interested in A. saccharum).

Like so many things in bonsai, availability is an issue. You can't turn a red maple or sugar maple into a trident maple. But in many parts of the US, you can throw a rock into the woods and have a decent chance of hitting a red/sugar maple that would cost a small fortune if it were a trident.

Back
Top Bottom