New guy needs help with Chinese Wisteria

Reaction score
I am new to growing bonsai trees. I bought Chinese Wisteria seeds about 2 months ago and one of them is growing very quickly. Well, when I initially started growing them I was in West Virginia and the bonsai produced very dark green leaves. I have since moved to Florida and now the leaves that have been growing are very bright green leaves.
I kept the plant inside in sunlight until I got to Florida. I water it and put it in sunlight and bring it in and take it back out. I have noticed that since I took my tree outside the brighter green leaves have begun turning brown at the tips and rolling in on themselves and I'm starting to see signs of browning on the tips of the darker leaves. Also, since taking it outside I have been having to kill little gnat like flies that stay on the soil.
Can anyone help me with why the leaves my be turning brown? Does it have to do with these gnats? Is there anything that I can treat the plant with that can get rid of the gnats but not harm the plant? I thank you for your responses in advanced and will attach photos of my Wisteria

Attachments

• IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 16
Your wisteria may have a bit of chlorosis. The young leaves look to have dark green veins and otherwise are yellow/yellow-ish which is typical of iron deficiency. Apply a bit of iron sulfate by distributing it on the soil surface - 'Ironite' greener (not fertilizer of the same brand name) is a common garden supply that will do the job.

Basically the issue is that your soil is not acidic enough for the roots to extract the traces of iron it needs. Other BNutters have made me aware that FL water is, generally speaking, quite hard which means it has lots of dissolved calcium making it an alkaline solution. Likely this is why you are suddenly having this trouble, now that you're in FL.

First off, I'd like to say thank you for the help and the advice. I will look into the Ironite. Also, do you think that I should change the water that I use? Maybe I should run it through a purifier? And do you think gnats are a problem when I put the bonsai outside? Or it is normal for them to be there. It's usually not a lot, maybe 2 or 3 of them. I just kill them, and usually see more the next day or a few hours later. Thank you again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom