Next project: Bonsai Raft Forest

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve decided to develop my latest gm juniper (IMG 8035, 8057) for the purpose of rafting a forest. The trunk goes up and then hard left. I plan to let it grow in that direction, naturally, and wire into upright. When it reaches desired thickness, I’ll create the forest. Steps to accomplish goal.

1. Develop tree as usual in organic medium
2. Wire into upright
3. Create a windswept type of style
4. Cut “bark windows” along bare side
5. Coat windows with Take Root (hormone)
6. Repot into box laying down with recumbent trunk hidden (anchor tree in place)
7. Or partially hide recumbent trunk (can’t decide)
8. Continue development and new root growth
9. Create individual trees from remaining branches
10. Transition to refinement phase

I’ve spent the 1st 5 months of bonsai learning and practicing horticulture alone with my junipers. Only light seasonal Spring pruning on my 1st tree (IMG 8049, 8050) which is beaming with energy and has a healthy solar panel canopy of foliage by now. The additional RAW NPK 20-0-0 worked well for elongation.

In Spring of 2024, I’ll slip pot and go organic with the tiny Juniper (IMG 8059, 8060).

If anyone has pictures of their bonsai rafting projects, please share as I’m feeling inspired and extremely motivated.

I’ve decided to develop my latest gm juniper (IMG 8035, 8057) for the purpose of rafting a forest. The trunk goes up and then hard left. I plan to let it grow in that direction, naturally, and wire into upright. When it reaches desired thickness, I’ll create the forest. Steps to accomplish goal.

1. Develop tree as usual in organic medium
2. Wire into upright
3. Create a windswept type of style
4. Cut “bark windows” along bare side
5. Coat windows with Take Root (hormone)
6. Repot into box laying down with recumbent trunk hidden (anchor tree in place)
7. Or partially hide recumbent trunk (can’t decide)
8. Continue development and new root growth
9. Create individual trees from remaining branches
10. Transition to refinement phase

I’ve spent the 1st 5 months of bonsai learning and practicing horticulture alone with my junipers. Only light seasonal Spring pruning on my 1st tree (IMG 8049, 8050) which is beaming with energy and has a healthy solar panel canopy of foliage by now. The additional RAW NPK 20-0-0 worked well for elongation.

In Spring of 2024, I’ll slip pot and go organic with the tiny Juniper (IMG 8059, 8060).

If anyone has pictures of their bonsai rafting projects, please share as I’m feeling inspired and extremely motivated.
Excellent! Your forest looks great. I love the arch and second landing into soil. Tell me about this material here!

Back
Top Bottom