Nova hurricane

Had a 65 mph straightline gust at the beginning of the storm, which split a nearby big landscape Bradford pear into thirds. Bonsai on the benches didn't move though -- heavy trees have some advantages. I was a bit concerned about tornadoes though, the air had that heavy Texas pre-twister feeling yesterday. There was only that one down near Spotsy. Could have been worse.

Had a 65 mph straightline gust at the beginning of the storm, which split a nearby big landscape Bradford pear into thirds. Bonsai on the benches didn't move though -- heavy trees have some advantages. I was a bit concerned about tornadoes though, the air had that heavy Texas pre-twister feeling yesterday. There was only that one down near Spotsy. Could have been worse.
I had a Bradford pear come up in our landscape and was advised they are invasive and I should cut it down. I did cut it down. It was pretty when it bloomed.bradford pear.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Bradford pear come up in our landscape and was advised they are invasive and I should cut it down. I did cut it down. It was pretty when it bloomed.View attachment 501946
Yes, they are nice when they bloom (which is the only saving grace they have) but they're literally trash trees. They are incredibly invasive and tend to split into kindling when they mature and their limbs get large. They can have extensive cross graining among the multiple leaders they develop. Cut it down , grind the stump. Do the same with all of its children (there will be more, as birds spread their seeds far and wide). Once established in one place, this tree will spend the next ten years pushing out native species with its own seedlings. It's a menace.

Wasn't sad to see the tree split, now the rest of it will be cut down. The remaining hulk's numerous unstable leaders now pose a danger to the community as they will topple eventually and soon.

Yes, they are nice when they bloom (which is the only saving grace they have) but they're literally trash trees. They are incredibly invasive and tend to split into kindling when they mature and their limbs get large. They can have extensive cross graining among the multiple leaders they develop. Cut it down , grind the stump. Do the same with all of its children (there will be more, as birds spread their seeds far and wide). Once established in one place, this tree will spend the next ten years pushing out native species with its own seedlings. It's a menace.

Wasn't sad to see the tree split, now the rest of it will be cut down. The remaining hulk's numerous unstable leaders now pose a danger to the community as they will topple eventually and soon.
Agree. After helping my brother in law with cleaning up and pulling the stump of a Bradford pear, I understand the issue. Bradford pear don't last long as a tree. They mature quickly and the limbs split easily in even mild wind. If you plan to cut down and pull stump every ten years, it's the tree for you.

Anyone else dealing with trees being blown over?

I do appreciate the help with watering. Thanks, nature!

View attachment 501916
Yeah, we dodged a bullet (again).
My neighborhood has hundreds of tall red oaks, white oaks, maples, poplars, etc.
We had extensive damage in the dorecho of 2013 and Isabel in 2002(?), and there are often random falls...but nothing last weekend and nothing last night.
Bonsai all stayed put too.

Don't think we had so much strong wind up up here where I am, just sheeting rain.

Second ditching any "gift" pears asap. Every time I go down to see my folks in PA, the landscape is littered with lousy invasive pears, honeysuckle, and bamboo... It's a change from all the knotweed, bittersweet, and tree of heaven up here, I guess.

Anyone else dealing with trees being blown over?

I do appreciate the help with watering. Thanks, nature!

View attachment 501916
I placed my 3 Junipers on the back deck floor between the couch and table, allowing enough room for rain to water them.

Additionally, I was unsure about giving them Nitrogen because I typically apply with water around the 10th but rain water is excellent and was guaranteed, so I gave it two days in advance via the whopper of a storm we had. The 10-10-10 is also due soon.

Back
Top Bottom