Nyssa sylvatica aka "black gum" that i just killed...probably.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have wayyyyyyyy to many trees and it's do or die time for the unlucky few that need to progress. I just did a quick repotting of a black torpedo that has been in it's nursery construct for the last 2 years. When I pulled the 2 gallon plastic container off the roots I was horrified by the 3 foot long tape root snaking it's way around and around and around the corners of the pot. I cut it off leaving a far amount of feeder roots that Protruded like little baby tap roots running down the length of the 6 inch Remaining basically tap root Extending down from the trunk of the base. I had to take my little Japanese saw and buzz cut the bottom the remaining tap root to a more Manageable bonsai length. So I just wanted to post a Farewell to my black gum because after the repotting I did a little research hehehehe.. Probably should have done that first. So most times black gum don't take to kindly to having their tap root cut off. But hey ,, I got to many trees anyways. Maybe my mistakes will help someone else or maybe it will live and I'll update this post. Only time will tell.20240204_015331.jpg20240204_015314.jpg20240204_014503.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you meant to say "tupelo" and not "torpedo". :)

One of these reasons why you rarely see these trees in the landscape trade is because of that tap root. It is a great tree to have in tornado-prone areas :) I have several large ones in my landscape and am going to be messing around with saplings to see what I can accomplish. I assume/hope that like many other tap-root species, there is a solution.

Two quick comments: first, it is probably a little too early to be repotting deciduous in Ohio. I generally wait until early spring when the threat of a hard freeze is behind us as the "best" time. Also - you might want to pot up those root segments and see if you can get a couple root cuttings. Don't let them freeze and be patient and you might see something pop out of the soil by early summer.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you meant to say "tupelo" and not "torpedo". :)

One of these reasons why you rarely see these trees in the landscape trade is because of that tap root. It is a great tree to have in tornado-prone areas :) I have several large ones in my landscape and am going to be messing around with saplings to see what I can accomplish. I assume/hope that like many other tap-root species, there is a solution.

Two quick comments: first, it is probably a little too early to be repotting deciduous in Ohio. I generally wait until early spring when the threat of a hard freeze is behind us as the "best" time. Also - you might want to pot up those root segments and see if you can get a couple root cuttings. Don't let them freeze and be patient and you might see something pop out of the soil by early summer.
Ahhh yes my early re-potting has become a bit of a tradition for me because around this time of the year is when I have loads of free time. I also make my own bonsai pot's around this time of the year as well. I have found that because I keep my greenhouse above freezing temperatures all year I don't have much problems with repotting early. I tend to only re-pot maples and elms around this time because of how Bullet proof they are. I also get a lot of bare-rooted tree's around this time mostly hornbeam and sweetgum.. although I did lose about 5 sweetgum bare rooted tree's last spring but that was probably because of poor packaging. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the "tupelo" .... if I knew how crazy the tap root was I definitely would have waited till the buds started swelling because I removed a large chunk of Stored energy with Coiling mess of a tap..

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Op is trying to cut down their collection - not 100% sure they want more cuttings 😛
I've seen pretty big cuttings take root.. hey... maybe I should have dipped the buzz bottom with rooting hormone.. why didn't I think of that smh..😏

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I have wayyyyyyyy to many trees and it's do or die time for the unlucky few that need to progress. I just did a quick repotting of a black torpedo that has been in it's nursery construct for the last 2 years. When I pulled the 2 gallon plastic container off the roots I was horrified by the 3 foot long tape root snaking it's way around and around and around the corners of the pot. I cut it off leaving a far amount of feeder roots that Protruded like little baby tap roots running down the length of the 6 inch Remaining basically tap root Extending down from the trunk of the base. I had to take my little Japanese saw and buzz cut the bottom the remaining tap root to a more Manageable bonsai length. So I just wanted to post a Farewell to my black gum because after the repotting I did a little research hehehehe.. Probably should have done that first. So most times black gum don't take to kindly to having their tap root cut off. But hey ,, I got to many trees anyways. Maybe my mistakes will help someone else or maybe it will live and I'll update this post. Only time will tell.View attachment 527160View attachment 527161View attachment 527162
“Torpedo” 😂 This should be the name.

I hope your tree survives. I know nothing about torpedos (other than they go 💥)

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black gum is buds are starting to swell Surprisingly. Who would have thought you can buz cut the bottom of the trunk and still have hope 🙏 it lives heheheh wish me luck..17100196005556885500298471163877.jpg

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any updates? I believe one of trees I collecTed in. Feb might be same species. It’s pushing growth but know that means nothing with stored energy in trunk.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates? I believe one of trees I collecTed in. Feb might be same species. It’s pushing growth but know that means nothing with stored energy in trunk.
It's dead.... I definitely killed it.. the buds started swelling even turning green but never opened.. I've already put it in my bonsai graveyard..

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any luck? I’m going to try and make a forest with these three
My tree had a horrible root spread..so I would be pretty conservative with root pruning. It still had plenty of feeder roots after my repotting but I had to buzz cut the whole tap root and that was the end of it. I don't really mind much because it looked kinda ugly in leaf to be honest. It looked much better without it's leaves on it. I only had the tree one or two growing season so it's not a huge loss. They do have amazing fall colors tho. I'll keep my eyes Peeled for another one because I like having trees that aren't used for bonsai much. Good luck with your forest composition. Please show your work on this thread if you want. I'd be interested in seeing it for sure. And I'll find another and post it on this thread one of these days..

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's dead.... I definitely killed it.. the buds started swelling even turning green but never opened.. I've already put it in my bonsai graveyard..
Bummer but such is life. I’m now not really sure what one of my trees is. Been searching online but hard to tell for me.

Top Bottom