Tupelo Nyssa Sylvatica

Ovaldes2019

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im going to be creating a forest tomorrow with my 3 nursery Tupelo. Wondering if any of you have any experience with these I don’t see a lot of people bonsai them. I know they tend to have a strong tap root which in nervous about especially with three in one pot. Wondering what your guy’s recommendation are here! IMG_9024.jpeg

Mike Westervelt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If they are nursery stock which appears to be the case, the taproot situation is irrelevant, it only pertains to wild collected material.

I had a large specimen for years, very easy to care for except our climate occasionally got way too cold and I didn't protect it adequately.

Ovaldes2019

Sapling
Reaction score
If they are nursery stock which appears to be the case, the taproot situation is irrelevant, it only pertains to wild collected material.

I had a large specimen for years, very easy to care for except our climate occasionally got way too cold and I didn't protect it adequately.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it, how do they like their roots being messed with? If I’m trying to get them all in one bonsia pot preferably close together I’m thinking I’ll have to pull a lot of roots out.

Mike Westervelt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine never seemed to mind root work at the appropriate time, had it in a fairly shallow pot for 10 plus years.

If your picture is current they seem to be an acceptable time for root work, however I'm not aware of your climate/USDA zone

Ovaldes2019

Sapling
Reaction score
Mine never seemed to mind root work at the appropriate time, had it in a fairly shallow pot for 10 plus years.

If your picture is current they seem to be an acceptable time for root work, however I'm not aware of your climate/USDA zone
That is current, took that photo today. I’m in a zone 7A

Top Bottom