One of my collection spots!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This place is near Mancelona Michigan. It's got tamaracks as you can see. Hundreds.

Attachments

• 2014-10-21 18.37.12.jpg
    2014-10-21 18.37.12.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 239
Hey, it's not nice to brag! :p

I try not to but my job takes me all over northern Michigan. I really just wanted to show the view. All of those small tamaracks under the power lines are going to be mowed in the future. Probably next fall. So I'll be going down there in the spring to see what I want to dig. I find these places all over up here.

Nice pic! Jealous of all the larch! I want one!

very nice spot, reminds me of spots in washington state where I grew up.

Digging Spots

Is this heaven???

"No this is Michigan"

lee

Gotta love the fall color of larch eh? This is the view from my kitchen window this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20141022_100144.jpg
    IMG_20141022_100144.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 88
And in the forest behind the house, a few adolescent western larches.

Attachments

• IMG_20141020_152032.jpg
    IMG_20141020_152032.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 72
western larch is on my radar right after bristlecones.

Most collected in the mountains here, live a season then expire. Some think it has to do with
something in the soil that if not sprayed eventually kills them. Others think bringing them down from the mountains into warmer climates may have something to do with it.

Back in my Youth the U.P. was the place I loved to be, when my motto was " I wish again to fish in michigan"....fly fishing for browns ...lots of great memories.

around here power lines are also excellent places to find trees.....

Is this heaven???

"No this is Michigan"

lee

The areas that I usually work/collect are this nice. This one of the few spots that I thought I would share though.
One of the spots you and I will be looking into is on the Ausable river. Very pretty. A lot like this one but more trees I think.

I collect just east of Fairview. Nothing better than trekking thru the woods this time of year.

As a kid I spent a lot of time in Michigan, the Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids area. I love Michigan.

I never thought of collecting from power line right-a-ways. I used to walk rail road tracks, but I should check out under the power lines. Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom