Overwinter Shed

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hello,

I just purchased this shed for overwatering my deciduous and coniferous bonsai trees. Should I cover the glass windows with something like dark plastic or a large quilt to help hold out the cold? Or will they be ok without any covering on the windows.

There are 2 vents at the top of the shed as well. Should I cover those as well?

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

Attachments

• IMG_6341.jpeg
    IMG_6341.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6346.jpeg
    IMG_6346.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6347.jpeg
    IMG_6347.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6345.jpeg
    IMG_6345.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 25
It sort of depends on your local weather and sun exposure. The key will be to keep the space from getting too hot or too cold. That might include manipulating the windows and vents.

Hello,

I just purchased this shed for overwatering my deciduous and coniferous bonsai trees. Should I cover the glass windows with something like dark plastic or a large quilt to help hold out the cold? Or will they be ok without any covering on the windows.

Thanks for any help,

Bobby
Whats the most cold sensitive material you're overwintering? I'd say that's the main point of consideration, its pretty hard to say what steps to take with the shed if you dont have a basis for what temperatures it hits relative to exposed temps.

It sort of depends on your local weather and sun exposure. The key will be to keep the space from getting too hot or too cold. That might include manipulating the windows and vents.
We live in Hershey PA. It gets down to the 20’s F routinely and occasionally it can go as low as single digits for a few days during the winter.

Whats the most cold sensitive material you're overwintering? I'd say that's the main point of consideration, its pretty hard to say what steps to take with the shed if you dont have a basis for what temperatures it hits relative to exposed temps.
I have a few ginkos, maples, elms, smoke bush, hornbeams, hinoki, juniper, and JBP.

I'd get a min/max thermometer in there and begin recording temps. In a structure like that with windows, ventilation is your friend. I'd leave those upper vents open and the windows cracked open as well until you're seeing true winter cold, which imo is sub 20 F outside. The ideal overwintering temps for typical cold hardy trees is below 40 F... I'd prefer low 30's. It's ok to have frozen soil for much of the winter but you want to avoid daily freeze/thaw if possible. All of the species you're keeping are quite capable of handling your typical 6b winters so don't baby them too much. Also, don't forget to have some mice/vole traps set.

I'd get a min/max thermometer in there and begin recording temps. In a structure like that with windows, ventilation is your friend. I'd leave those upper vents open and the windows cracked open as well until you're seeing true winter cold, which imo is sub 20 F outside. The ideal overwintering temps for typical cold hardy trees is below 40 F... I'd prefer low 30's. It's ok to have frozen soil for much of the winter but you want to avoid daily freeze/thaw if possible. All of the species you're keeping are quite capable of handling your typical 6b winters so don't baby them too much. Also, don't forget to have some mice/vole traps set.
Ok great! I just took your advice and put a min/max thermometer/hygrometer in there and will leave the vents open for proper ventilation. If it gets too warm, I’ll crack the windows.

We live in Hershey PA. It gets down to the 20’s F routinely and occasionally it can go as low as single digits for a few days during the winter.
You're zone 6b and 7a. I'd say a shed is overkill or just a plain hassle for the species you're working on. Likely it will keep trees too warm and you will have bud push on the deciduous stuff in early Feb. If that happens, you will have to find indoor frost free quarters for your trees for a couple of months into April.

FWIW, overwintering is NOT about keeping trees "warm" and sheltered. It's about keeping them as cold as possible for as long as possible. I have Texas and La. collected trees here in N.Va. Zone 7. I keep them under mulch in backyard garden beds exposed to weather. Bald Cypress and cedar elm have seen dips into below 0 F some winters. They have been fine for the most part (warm spells in Feb. have recently complicated things-those late winter warm ups will be magnified under a roof in an enclosed building...

Also might be worth getting a min/max temp thermometer. I usually come out to my greenhouse around 7am when its already positive temperatures but the min temp value lets you know if it has fallen below 0 over night and you can set up the vents accordingly.

Nice shed! Good to have the remote temperature sensor.

A couple thoughts

A bit concerned about the safety implications of stepping up and done on looks like a steel ramp in snow and ice. Based upon my experience with slips on concrete step up entry in the winter snows.

A solid way to lock the door in the open position to keep it from slamming shut in the wind is a good idea.

Wondering is there drainage built in the shed? Also lights.

A fan is a must to avoid fungus. Vents are generally needed once the temperature gets above freezing. Opening helps prevent moisture build up and fungus. When warm spells happen, opening windows/door during the day (at least) is a wise idea.

imho There is little or no advantage in keeping one‘s trees below freezing and a number of possible downsides. Dormancy requirements are fulfilled between 33-42(ish)F.

For more on Wintering Over in sheds, greenhouses and outdoors see this resource. Note the information applies to all trees, not just azaleas.

For an example of a really awesome greenhouse set up see @JudyB ’s

I wish you good luck with your new set up.!

cheers
DSD sends

Hello,

Thanks for any help,

Bobby
Shed looks great. I am curious as to the material used to construct the shed. I believe that will play role in the amount of protection it will provide. Window material can also be very different! The answer to your question will likely be found by tracking the conditions inside as the outside conditions change. Then adjusting vents, drafts etc to compensate for overheating or cooling down too much.
My estimation would be that you will have to learn how often the door needs to be left open, the vents uncovered or the reverse as times go on. Thermometer will be your best friend at this point.
I recently put up a new green house and dealing with the same process. getting to know how the structure works in my climate.

Back
Top Bottom