Pacific Bonsai Expo, October 26-27, 2024, Oakland, CA

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Details are coming together for this year's Pacific Bonsai Expo

Don't forget - it is a juried show, and if you want to show a tree you have to submit an application between Feb 1, 2024 - April 30th, 2024 (which is sooner than you would think).

Vendor Setup Hours:
Thursday October 24th 9am-5pm
Friday October 25th, 9am-4pm NO SETUP 5pm or Later.

Expo Open Hours:
Saturday October 26th: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, October 27th: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Address:
Henry J. Kaiser Center
10 10th St, Oakland, CA 94607

Henry J. Kaiser Center For the Arts is located adjacent to the Oakland Museum of California, on the shores of Lake Merritt, across the lake from the Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt.

The Venue historically was called the Oakland Civic Auditorium. The main event hall is over 26,000 square feet and surrounds attendees with wonderful architectural details and a storied history.

THE OFFICIAL SHOW SITE IS HERE

Last edited:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ll be going for sure! I fell in love with Oakland last time I visited, and sadly the Lake Merritt collection was closed at the time (on a day of a club show onsite somehow 🤦‍♀️)

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Where are folks staying?

The hotel they recommend on the page is quite far away. I stayed at the AC Marriott, and it was a decent, but long walk to Lake Merritt or an easy bike ride. Might stay at the Marriott City Center this time, though.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jack London Square is pretty close - mile and a half, maybe two. Walkable unless you're carrying trees and pots.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Where are folks staying?

The hotel they recommend on the page is quite far away. I stayed at the AC Marriott, and it was a decent, but long walk to Lake Merritt or an easy bike ride. Might stay at the Marriott City Center this time, though.
I recommend people stay in the Berkeley or Alameda area, though I believe downtown oakland has a few decent stays and is a more gentrified area. Definitely check reviews
. And whatever you do, do NOT get gas for your rental car at the gas station closest to the Oakland airport. Infamous for smash and grabs. I dont want to scare people away from attending, but just want people to know how to avoid unwanted shenanigans. I have some great friends who lived in the Oakland area over a decade now so they are familiar with that sort of thing. Just don’t leave anything within sight inside the car (given in any major city really!). We might do the extended stay in alameda or an airbnb i liked last PBE. Depends on if I will have any kids in tow. 🥲

Last edited:

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Looking forward to attending this show for the first time. As someone who lived and worked in the Bay Area for years, I have to give a shout out to Emeryville. My then girlfriend (now wife) lived on Shellmound St. for a few years, 2011-2013. Great food options- we used to enjoy walking over to the Public Market for some excellent dim sum or pad Thai.
For those looking to drive less, it’s a short Uber ride to the McArthur BART station from Emeryville center to go just about anywhere in the Bay including Lake Merritt station.
I haven’t been back in awhile, though I imagine it hasn’t changed much. There seems to be decent hotel options in the area now, but I’m not familiar with any of them. I would be interested in hearing about anyone’s experience taking a cross-country train ride to the west coast. The Amtrak line from the east coast ends in Emeryville and connects to a bus line that runs to Jack London square.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I recommend people stay in the Berkeley or Alameda area, though I believe downtown oakland has a few decent stays and is a more gentrified area. Definitely check reviews
. And whatever you do, do NOT get gas for your rental car at the gas station closest to the Oakland airport. Infamous for smash and grabs. I dont want to scare people away from attending, but just want people to know how to avoid unwanted shenanigans. I have some great friends who lived in the Oakland area over a decade now so they are familiar with that sort of thing. Just don’t leave anything within sight inside the car (given in any major city really!). We might do the extended stay in alameda or an airbnb i liked last PBE. Depends on if I will have any kids in tow. 🥲
I was in this area this past October and felt safe, but I do know Berkeley is great as well, and its always good to give a heads up about occupational safety while traveling. I think the downtown city center is a good place for me to stay because I’ll be going into SF throughout my stay.

An AirBnB sounds like an awesome move, especially if you’re vending AND have kids. I might pitch that to my girlfriend to see if I can get her to tag along.

Last edited:

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Kissel Uptown Oakland is very nice and pretty close (under 10 blocks but again, you're probably calling a cab if you've got pots and trees). Used to be a car dealership back in the day. Great staff, comfortable rooms, food was super tasty.

We didn't have any trouble with anyone in downtown Oakland and felt safe.

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't had any safety issues with downtown Oakland. It's walk-friendly and has great amenities. I'll be staying at the Kissel Uptown Oakland which is a former Cadillac (I think) dealership. Not the cheapest hotel out there but very glam, very comfortable. It's about 1.4 miles to the show - city streets plus a walk along the lake. Won't be renting a car - don't need it.

Top Bottom