Pine ID - Northern GA

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi folks, I'm wondering if someone can help me identify a little pine I found on my in-laws' property. The needles look nice and short and the branching seems nice for a little compact pine. I'm totally out of my depth with conifers so I'm wondering if someone can help out with an ID. I've eliminated eastern white, loblolly, and pitch pines since the needles grow in pairs. Any ideas?

IMG_1832.jpg IMG_1833.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

Definitely Virginia. See how the needles twist?

You can decandle these like JBP. But they never get as dense as JBP or JRP. They tend to not build sticky trunks, but rather thin and taperless trunks. They do bark up withflaky bark quickly.

Because of the trunk characteristics, the best ones I’ve seen have been literati.

Definitely Virginia. See how the needles twist?

You can decandle these like JBP. But they never get as dense as JBP or JRP. They tend to not build sticky trunks, but rather thin and taperless trunks. They do bark up withflaky bark quickly.

Because of the trunk characteristics, the best ones I’ve seen have been literati.

After some research, people seem really mixed on using them. I might try one out since there are so many around north GA to choose from. This particular one seems like a decent candidate with low branching and decent bark. The limbs are pretty leggy though, so I might just keep moving. Thanks for the positive ID!

They grow wild here, and somehow I’ve managed to kill every one I collected. A few were pretty nice too...
View attachment 172179 View attachment 172180
Mine did, too. It was about 40 years ago! Much like yours in styling. Don’t know why... thinking back, I did use Turface back in those days... Naaa, that couldn’t be it... :eek:

Mine did, too. It was about 40 years ago! Much like yours in styling. Don’t know why... thinking back, I did use Turface back in those days... Naaa, that couldn’t be it... :eek:

Hehe. Come on get em out. You've got about a week. I reckon you break in Jan! (Soil war resolution)

If you find a nice trunk with low branching collect it. The skinny ones will not thicken in a pot

Back
Top Bottom